Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

----96' 5.0 timing jumping around spout removed------

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ----96' 5.0 timing jumping around spout removed------

First off Im looking at the Timing with a laptop plugged into my OBD port. The P.O, has removed it when the crank sensor was replaced, so it doesn't have a timing pointer now I can use with a gun.

I wonder if this is accurate? It jumps from 4 to 19-30, all around. It should stay still IF I HAD A LIGHT ON IT.

Yes the SPOUT Pill is removed.

I've read symptoms like this can be jumped timing chain but I doubt thats it. It would still be a constant number.

The Distributor was hard as hell to move, oxidized in place pretty much. I've read dist bushings can cause the timing to move. Idk.

Runs pig rich, eatin gas, runs pretty good as far as effort goes, no missing, plenty of power, but its a hog for some reason, you can smell it too.

I've changed all emission sensors. All of them. Motorcraft brand everything. Zero vaccum leaks. All new vacuum lines. EGR tube.

Even if I bought a new pointer, I still don't think I can see it due to all the accessory stuff in the way. Looks like it sits at 12' clock position.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Yes, with the SPOUT removed, the timing should stay put at one setting.
Not a great deal of experience with this problem, but suggest to
* check the distributor rotor / shaft for free play and ease of rotation. Figure if the shaft is not rotating true or is binding - may affect timing.
* perhaps inspect the SPOUT plug to see whether anything has been inserted to short the pins and simulate a SPOUT connector.

What kind of shape are the rotor and cap in? IIRC, your model year should have the MAF (mass air flow) sensor - has it been cleaned or checked? Ever run any injector cleaner through it, or checked the fuel rail pressure to ensure adequate fuel misting?

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 495 Likes on 429 Posts

Make sure engine speed is steady. Distributor wear and timing chain stretch/slop (not jumped)come to mind. By pulling spout, you eliminate any influence on the engine from the computer.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, even with the laptop and no timing light it should remain steady set 1 setting. Weird.

That dist is the original, could barely budge the damn thing and move it around. Id say something aint right. A**hole kid who owned it before me had the whole engine covered in red mud, beat the hell out of it every chance he got on a ridge....

I'll prob put a new dist just for fun(and PM purposes) see what happens.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 495 Likes on 429 Posts

Before you buy a distributor, you can check for timing chain slop. Remove the dist. cap, rotate the crank with a breaker bar in its normal direction to take up the chain slack and stop at TDC. Then slowly rotate the crank in the opposite direction and stop when you begin to see the distributor rotate. Then look at your timing marks and see how many degrees of slop was present. If you have more than 5 degrees of slop, its getting time for a new chain and sprockets.