Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 F150 vapor canister

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:19 PM
1995 F150 4.9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 F150 vapor canister

Hey folks I’m a newbie to this site and am not a auto mechanic by any means but just more of a piddler. That being said, I kindly ask for y’all advice on helping me get my 95 f150 4.9 operating as should be.
2 months ago I noticed fuel in charcoal canister after my cab smelt like the inside of a gas tank. I was hauling some weight in back of truck so I got the truck home got the weight out, and started driving my other truck while the 4.9 sat for a couple weeks and I did nothing to it. I been driving it 50 miles every other day since it sat and it has not giving me any issue.. Until today. Noticed the smell, popped hood, bam, there it was again canister filled up with gas where I could see it to the brim, dust caps nowhere to be found. I have read that if you over fill tank it will cause this but I am on half a tank and even with it started the first time was on about the same. I will ad cause I’m not sure if it has anything to do with it or not but I’m running on back tank only. Front tank started puking gas out of gas cap years back, then quit running on front tank shortly after. Not worried bout fixing it unless I have to. I did buy new caps when that happened, just don’t know if it is a cause or has anything to do with current problem. Thank you for your patients if you read through this. N sorry if this is already something someone has wrote about, and if it is, can y’all send link to lead me in the direction I need to go n it’ll be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Yes, you need to do something with the unused tank - either fix it, delete it, or block it off.

This diagram, its caption, and the rest of its photo album explain how the fuel system works & is put together:

(phone app link)

This caption explains how to block off a '90-04 tank semipermanently:

(phone app link)

This shows how the charcoal canister works:

(phone app link)

You should drain it back into the working tank, and leave it out in the sun for a few days to dry out.

Quick Reply: 95 F150 vapor canister