Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 5.8L vacuum and distributor problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 5.8L vacuum and distributor problems

I just bought a 95 with a 5.8l and it has a few issues. It wont hardly start and i think the timing is off pretty bad, but the little timing chip that you take out for the timing is unattached from the wiring harness i guess, becuase i found one in the door just sitting there like it was ripped out. Where do i need to look on the motor to see if the one that was in the door is an extra? Also, the vacuum lines are all messed up, some are capped off with spark plugs and bolts and different stuff. I live in a state that doesnt require any kind of smog stuff, so i will be taking off the smog pump and any associated hoses with that, but what hoses do i need to connect and where are they, so that the truck will idle smoothly

thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default spout

the spout connector is to the right of the dist in the wire harness. just a two wire plug with a cap in it. When unplugged you can adjust the timing, with it in you can move the dist all over and the computer comps for it.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spout (I assume it's the same on the newer ones) is on the wiring harness going to the distributor. Should be a connector near the base of the distributor, sticking out of the wire bundle connected to the distributor module. If your module is mounted on the fender, (not sure what year that started) it might be there instead - hopefully someone else who is more familiar with the newer trucks can give you a better idea.

There should be a vacuum diagram stuck under the hood, showing the color of the lines, and what they go to. Getting that sorted out will make a big difference for you. A haynes or chilton manual will have diagrams too if your sticker is gone. The same diagrams are shown on this link:

http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...00c152801cd6b6
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 PM

thanks for the input, the distributor i have only has 2 wires coming out of it, so i guess what i am looking for is on the fender? what does it look like? i am a lot more familiar with the mustangs than i am with the f150s
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You're looking for the ignition control module. I think it's just a square box on the drivers side fender. The spout has two pink wires going into it with the removeable connector.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM

ok, i think i got the timing set right because the motor turns over a lot more normal, but the truck still doesnt idle, i am guessing it is probably a vacuum problem, i have to hold the gas pedal down and pump it to keep the truck running and it is very rough, and i dont have much oil pressure, so i checked the oil and it smells like gas, would this smell be cause by vacuum leaks or do i have something a lot worse going on?

sorry about all the random typing, just trying to get my thoughts out there
Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the vacuum lines sorted out yet? If not, that could be part of the problem. It won't do much good to check codes until the vacuum lines are correct, or you'll get codes for sensors that may just need a vacuum source.

This might also be a good time to do a complete tune-up so you have a good starting point to correct any other issues. Spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter should be a good start.

Last edited by aliens8mycow; 01-12-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM
ThunderHead '94 EB Bronco

Originally Posted by blue95offroad
thanks for the input, the distributor i have only has 2 wires coming out of it, so i guess what i am looking for is on the fender? what does it look like? i am a lot more familiar with the mustangs than i am with the f150s
Heres a pic.. left fender
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lobo; 01-12-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I usually start by checking for codes, this thread explains how:
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/
The reason there's gas in the oil is because either the truck is running way too rich or you kept trying to start it while it wasn't starting. When it wasn't starting the gas ran down in the oil.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 AM
ThunderHead '94 EB Bronco

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
When it wasn't starting the gas ran down in the oil.
And hope it didn't wash all the cylinders dry of oil..

Quick Reply: 95 5.8L vacuum and distributor problems