Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

93 F-150 Stalling, trouble starting, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 93 F-150 Stalling, trouble starting, etc.

I have a 93 F-150 single cab, short bed with the 4.9 straight 6.

I bought the truck used with 139,000 miles on it a couple weeks ago and it ran fine for the first week. The second week, it started stalling whenever it sat too long and occasionally while I was driving. Now I can't even get it to start.

New stuff- oil, oil filter, starter solenoid, front tank fuel pump, new gas (i think it sat for a bit). There is more stuff, I emailed the person I bought it from to tell me what they put in it.

I tested the fuel pressure and it came up to about 45-50 psi while trying to start it and 55-60 psi while idling (when i managed to start it).

I have spark

I was thinking it might be the IAC but one of the screws is rusted on and I can't get it off.

Please help!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM

This is a tough one.

The spark, is it blue? Orangish? color would be helpful.

Total shot in the dark here but from what you have said my first thought was coil or distributor, something in this area, but for now that's a total guess.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem and I replaced the whole distributor and it fired right up and ran fine since.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 PM

i was using a screwdriver to test for spark so i dont know the color. As for the distributor, im getting spark so i dont think it would be that. i think it might have something to do with the fuel system. When i tested the pressure, the gas came out yellow (almost like lemonade). i dont know if anything was in the bottle i used to collect it so im going to try again tomorrow with a clean jar.

my reasoning behind this belief is that when i tried using the second tank to see how much was in it, there wasnt anything so it obviously died. i dont think the previous owner used the second tank and when i used it, something bad got pumped into the lines or filter.

an additional note, if i let it sit for a while it will start right up, but eventually stall, and become increasingly more difficult to start until i let it sit for while again, then it starts right up again
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem the truck ran fine then all of a sudden it died I couldn't start it again. After I let it sit for a while it would fire right back up like there was nothing wrong and then it would stall. Just because you get spark one one cylinder doesn't mean you are on everyone. The pip inside of the distributor is bad. That's what helps tell the distributor when to fire as the icm tells it when to fire.

I had that problem I replaced everything and it acted the same until I put the new distributor in. I replaced ignition coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor, filters, and relays for the fuel pump.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 AM

So I figured out that the previous owner replaced the distribor shaft, cap, and rotor so I don't know where that leaves me
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM

Coil, plug wires and plugs would be my next direction if your positive the distributor is good.

One of these things is heating up then quitting on you. You can still have spark and not be able to run an engine, this is why I asked the color of your spark. Blue or white spark = good ignition system. Orange coloring, bad or weak ignition.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:17 AM

This is the rest of what he remembers he replaced: rear main seal, torque converter, oil pan, oil gasket, ICM, coil, wires, caps, u joints, alternator

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 93 F-150 Stalling, trouble starting, etc.