Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

92 FlareSide Speedometer out and hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM
WoodyFlareside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FlareSide Speedometer out and hard shifting

I've seen a few threads about this and the issue doesn't seem to be so simple...Ol Red has a 302 with auto trans and all are as doing great till last Sunday...speedo quit, odometer out, and the truck started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd... Changed VSS, repaired wires on VSS, no change. There does not seem to be a vacuum attached to the tranny. My fuses seem to be good and there are no codes flashing. I've been told that it could be the Speedo..I hope that is my last effort...any other clues!?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodyFlareside
I've seen a few threads about this and the issue doesn't seem to be so simple...Ol Red has a 302 with auto trans and all are as doing great till last Sunday...speedo quit, odometer out, and the truck started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd... Changed VSS, repaired wires on VSS, no change. There does not seem to be a vacuum attached to the tranny. My fuses seem to be good and there are no codes flashing. I've been told that it could be the Speedo..I hope that is my last effort...any other clues!?
The speedometer and odometer are not turning on at all? Does the radio still turn on?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
WoodyFlareside

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
The speedometer and odometer are not turning on at all? Does the radio still turn on?
Awesome question and the answer is no...the speedo and odo are not operational at all...the radio went out and now only has some fuzz coming from it!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Awesome question and the answer is no...the speedo and odo are not operational at all...the radio went out and now only has some fuzz coming from it!
Hm. I would say double check the fuses again. I'll double check my panel but one of the fuses in the interior panel controls power to the speedo and odometer along with a couple other things. If not that fuse then you have a power issue going to your cluster.

Is the radio only "fuzzy" when its on radio? Does it play other media fine (CD, tape, whatever it is?)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
WoodyFlareside

Hm. I would say double check the fuses again. I'll double check my panel but one of the fuses in the interior panel controls power to the speedo and odometer along with a couple other things. If not that fuse then you have a power issue going to your cluster.

Is the radio only "fuzzy" when its on radio? Does it play other media fine (CD, tape, whatever it is?)
No nothing but fuzz sounds like ham radio...almost like the antenna went out.
Every time I drive the car I hear this loud pop under the dash and have taken it as a heat/cooling flex issue...I mean it goes Pow or even sounds like a small arms pop. I sometimes hear it when I drive over a speed bump or a railroad track. I've had a bunch of cars and never had this!!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I think the dome light and speedo are on the same fuse, I think. Check codes.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM
WoodyFlareside

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I think the dome light and speedo are on the same fuse, I think. Check codes.
I've checked the the fuses...all are good
Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
WoodyFlareside

Oh Yeah..the radio is not in the same panel..it sits by itself..no cd no nuthin!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Oh Yeah..the radio is not in the same panel..it sits by itself..no cd no nuthin!
That seems odd. Just a plain radio. And it doesn't get power through that fuse panel on your truck? Try pulling codes like Sean said. If the fuse that controls your speedo/odo power is OK then its time to pull out the cluster and check power wires.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Fuse number 8 in the cab fuse panel. Very top and second from the left. I know we keep bringing up the fuse but it seems like the issue with those symptoms. Even if it looks good try putting a known good fuse in it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 92 FlareSide Speedometer out and hard shifting