Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 f150 Stroker Build!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 89 f150 Stroker Build!

So im looking for any advice or information anyone can give me. My truck is a 1989 f150 Lariat Xlt Custom. It`s a 5.0, 4x4 C-6 Long box Single cab. Now this was my first every truck and for 5 years its been sitting in my barn due to a blown tranmission. Im going to be rebuilding this truck from ground up (some rust here n there), building a stroker and upgrading my transmission as well as outher odds and ends. Before anyone sais throw the 302 out and buy a 351 its not a choice for me. This truck has sentimental value being my first truck and all. Okay so let me break down the build for you, over time i will update with progress pics. This will be a daily driver truck as well as off road mudding truck out in my swamp. Going to run 39`s maybe a little bit bigger tires unsure yet, aggresive but decent enough so i can still use them on the road. 3 inch body kit and a 9 inch suspension lift. Front and Rear locked with detroit lockers. Now transmission im going to be doing a mega monster in a box, which is an upgraded full rebuild kit the link will be posted below. Converter will either be a 1,900-2,300 (400 rpm over stock) or 2,300-2,500. What I need is a good Valve Body as I dont want to reuse mine due to tons of small peices of metal going threw my transmission when it blew. If anyone has a link of good one please let me know, if not how much is a stock one threw Ford? For the 5.0 I want to build a stroker it wont compare to the 351 but once properly done it will have more horse and torque then the stock 460 which im okay with. I plan to go .030 over on the pistons, Long Tube Headers with a 3inch outlet strait duals all the way back. The pistons/rods/crank I will probally get all at the same place so I know their compatible. What I need is a good cam/heads/rollers and an EFI intake to match. Was thinking of a roller cam setup but dont know much about them. Will be using E3 SparkPlugs and a better then stock dist/wires. Underdrive pulley conversion with eletric fans and a new super cooled tranny cooler from monstertrans.com. So give me all your advice, opinions, tips anything!!

Transmission:
C6 SS Mega Monster Transmission Complete Rebuild Kit: 1967-UP

Converters:
C6 Torque Converter 1900-2300 Stall Heavy Duty Torque Converter

C6 Torque Converter 2300-2500 Stall Heavy Duty Torque Converter

Cooler:
Monster Transmission Cooler, Fluid, Trans Flush, Decals, Super Cool Package, Keep Your Transmission Cool

One last thing, No idea what gears im going to run yet either. Still debating if I should build up the 302 or buy a 351 efi 4x4 donor truck. Noones giving me any good information on building the 302. All saying to swap a 351...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you use the Fairbanks shift kit that come in the monster in a box, you will have the valve body apart enough to clean out any crap that got in from the blow up, I would price the kit contents up elsewhere, that seems high, but looks like quality stuff. With a little motor, and talking a mud truck, not a trail rig, more stall is better, in low range, it will stall lower anyway, most of the time.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

E3 SparkPlugs

stop watching power block, lol it is just one big ad.

go with plaing ole, copper core motorcraft.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
E3 SparkPlugs

stop watching power block, lol it is just one big ad.

go with plaing ole, copper core motorcraft.
What s wrong with champions I put them in everything?

I ll jump on the ditch the 302 band wagon, I just don t like them, and it doesn't really make sense to me to spend the same money to build a full on motor, to make the same power a mild 460 would make.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Champions are for lawn mowers.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM

Yeah the truck will be a daily driver and occasionally take it threw my swamp... Im from Upstate New York and I have a 3 acre swamp on my property to play in. Reason im ganna use the e3 plugs is because ive used them before and they really do increase hp by giving off a bigger spark and consuming more fuel. As far as the shift kit, when you take the valve body out you cant seperate it in half can you? Theres like 1,000 passways and I will never get all the metal and crudd out... Yes the 302 isnt ideal for playing in the mudd but it will be driven daily on the road is why i choose to just build up the stock motor. The 460 is a gas hogg, if i build up the 302 stroker i should still be able to get away with 39 inch tires. Bigger gears, detroit lockers, higher stall converter... What I really need is opinions or advice on the best cam/lifters/heads/intake. Im thinking of going with Edelbrock Efi intake. Cam im thinking of a roller setup, cam/lifters/head. But not sure if its a good idea or not. Or if its possible to use on a non roller motor. Also a good underdrive pulley kit. E-Fan kit, going to put a 3inch body lift kit and probally a 9 inch suspension lift kit on it.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

motorcraft plugs and NO 3in exhaust... thats way too big even for a built 302...or even a 347 for daily driver use...

stock 302 should be 2.25in pipes for duals and a build up should still be 2.25 for a 347in if you run stock cam... a bigger cam will need 2.5in piping... anything bigger will just kill low end torque and in a 4x4 thats very important to have as much low end torque as you can.

Stock intake is more than fine... you just need better heads... I will suggest the Trick Flow Track Heat 170cc heads and build around those... they make awesome power even on stock stuff

EDIT: a 302 is more than fine for playing in the mud... to tell you the truth sometimes smaller engines do better in the mud because they are under-powered and dont have enough power to get into trouble...like over power and dig themselves into a hole. back when we had our GM 4x4s my buddy blew his engine and I loaded him one of my little peanut motors as in an old 283 cubic inch engine and he went mudding with that and surprisingly he did very well... he was able to get in and out of places others couldnt just because of the lack of monster torque....

Last edited by dr_bowtie; 04-04-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
motorcraft plugs and NO 3in exhaust... thats way too big even for a built 302...or even a 347 for daily driver use...

stock 302 should be 2.25in pipes for duals and a build up should still be 2.25 for a 347in if you run stock cam... a bigger cam will need 2.5in piping... anything bigger will just kill low end torque and in a 4x4 thats very important to have as much low end torque as you can.

Stock intake is more than fine... you just need better heads... I will suggest the Trick Flow Track Heat 170cc heads and build around those... they make awesome power even on stock stuff

EDIT: a 302 is more than fine for playing in the mud... to tell you the truth sometimes smaller engines do better in the mud because they are under-powered and dont have enough power to get into trouble...like over power and dig themselves into a hole. back when we had our GM 4x4s my buddy blew his engine and I loaded him one of my little peanut motors as in an old 283 cubic inch engine and he went mudding with that and surprisingly he did very well... he was able to get in and out of places others couldnt just because of the lack of monster torque....
3inch is fine, I have 3 inch duals from shorty headers back no converters or cross pipe currently and i pulled a 3rd hitch on it for 7 years no problem going up hills or anything. The truck wont be stock, its going to be a stroker new crank, .030 pistons, longer rods. So the cam/heads need to be compatable with the stroker kit. I want as much HP+Torque as possible while still using 87 octane fuel.

Last edited by snipe1605; 04-04-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 89 f150 Stroker Build!