Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 F-150 Straight 6 Cranks but will not start please help !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 F-150 Straight 6 Cranks but will not start please help !!

What's up everyone,

New to the forum here and recently purchased a 1995 F-150 with a straight 6 cylinder motor about two months ago. Well 2 days ago I drove the truck all day for work and it ran great no issues at all I stopped and filled the truck up at the end of the day with fuel and started it back up it ran for about 5 seconds then quit running and will crank but not start so I had to get the truck towed home. So far I’ve changed the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump it’s self and made sure I was getting spark. All checked out and the truck still won’t turn over !!! This is driving me crazy I’ve owned these trucks before but never a straight 6 I always had a 302 So not very Familiar with these 6 cylinder engines. Any info anyone can give me to help me out here would me More then greatly appreciated !! Thank you
Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

STOP changing parts. Put all the originals back on since they're not the problem, and are probably much-higher quality than the replacements.

The 4.9L runs almost identically to the other engines - no real difference in operation or diagnosis. But you DO have to DIAGNOSE each problem - don't just throw part$ at it. If you don't have a Haynes, now's the time to get one, but read this caption first:

(phone app link)

Eventually, you need to read it cover-to-cover at least once so you know what's in it & where to find things. Measure fuel pressure with the appropriate gauge:

(phone app link)

Try spraying a ~3-sec shot of carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or starting fluid into the brake booster hose (by disconnecting it from the plastic valve in the booster), then see if it tries to run. If not: use a digital multimeter to follow the procedure in this caption:

(phone app link)

Post all the details of what you do & observe. And put ALL the truck's details into your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: 1995 F-150 Straight 6 Cranks but will not start please help !!