Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 4.9 wont start getting fuel but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 4.9 wont start getting fuel but no spark

Hello all I bought a 1995 f150 xlt 5spd manual with 137000 miles and within three days of buying it all of the problems seemed to hit me at the same time. The truck sometimes runs great with no problems at all starts up runs great and I have zero issues (other then it running on between the "A" and "L" of normal in the temperature gauge but im going to replace the whole radiator as I believe this one is clogged) then at other times shes super stubborn and cranks and cranks but won't go at all. The problem happened more and more and made me want to push the truck off a cliff however I would leave it for a few hours and she wouls start right up. I replaced damn near everything spark plugs wires coil distributor cap; the alternator and starter were already brand new, but still nothing. I got fed up and took it to a shop and they ran a diagnostics test found that i was getting fuel and no spark and told me it was one of two things the computer or the distributor so I started with the distributor based off other forums and what people were saying with similar problems. Changed the distributor and went to start it up and she cranked but sounded like it was misfiring like crazy and on top of that as soon as I turn the key it sounds like my blinkers are on (the blinking sound) untill I try to crank her over then it stops but the moment I stop cranking the sound proceeds even with the key out of the ignition. I checked how everything was wired up and it was all done correctly yet the misfire continued. I am so fed up with this thing now and dont know what else to do, please help!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Maybe the distributor's not in right. Start over just to be sure. #1 cylinder - compression stroke, up to about 10 deg. before top dead centre, dist rotor should be pointing at #1 wire, one of the bumps on the shaft should just be lining up with the PIP.
Triple check firing order and direction of rotation.
Blinker sound is strange. Turning the key to start would kill it's power source because that's what it does. The only "blinker" circuit that normally runs independent of the key in the ignition is the 4 way flashers - maybe pull that flasher and see if it stops.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:57 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

I would guess you got the dist turned 180*, X2 on the hazard lights, it's easy to bump that switch but you should see both inside and outside blinkers operating, if not I would get it to make the noise and track it down.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does sound like pcm is junk. The sound you are hearing is probably random relays turning off and on.

You really need to get a service manual and so some diagnosing. It will save you a lot of money.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't see the ICM in that list of things changed. Check codes.

Quick Reply: 1995 4.9 wont start getting fuel but no spark