Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare tire

I have an 04 and I can't seem to get the spare tire lock to open. I put the ignition key into the cylinder lock and it will not move. I am assuming you are supposed to be able to turn the cylinder and then remove it to allow access. What am I doing wrong?

Happy 4th and God Bless America!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 216 Likes on 193 Posts

eh, not very familiar with your model year - but I'll give it a blind shot.

Assuming that the spare is underneath or otherwise exposed to the elements, suspect that crud has fouled up the lock cylinder. If so, suggest to spritz some WD-40 or other greaseless lube up into the lock cylinder, then try to work the key back-n-forth - hoping to loosen and flush out any crud.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wde3477
eh, not very familiar with your model year - but I'll give it a blind shot.

Assuming that the spare is underneath or otherwise exposed to the elements, suspect that crud has fouled up the lock cylinder. If so, suggest to spritz some WD-40 or other greaseless lube up into the lock cylinder, then try to work the key back-n-forth - hoping to loosen and flush out any crud.
This is probably your problem. My lock turns a quarter turn to the right and the whole lock cylinder pulls out giving you access to the crank to lower the spare. Also if your ignition was ever re-keyed you may need to visit a locksmith.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks guys. Shot some WD-40 into it and worked it loose. I think I have solved the problem from happening again. I removed the cylinder and put it in my tool box.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM

when you removed the cylinder did you replace it with anything? ive had my spare stolen before and can't find anything that looks likes its worth buying. thanks!

john
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
This picture scares you

Originally Posted by thetruckguy
when you removed the cylinder did you replace it with anything? ive had my spare stolen before and can't find anything that looks likes its worth buying. thanks!

john

The OP hasn't logged on in almost 10 months... I don't know if he will be responding...
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

i took off that lock, and never put it back on.

which is more likely to happen?
1. someone cranks down my spare, in my driveway, without me hearing that gawd-awful noise it makes
2. i get a flat, i'm unable to get my spare because some doofy lock is rusted, and end up breaking off the ignition key in it on accident
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 AM

that's just it, is it worth the risk? mine was taken in broad daylight. i just came across something online that i am going to look into. its not a lock or anything but its supposed to protect the spring and cable i guess. if youre confident that it wont be taken in your driveway then maybe no worries. i live in chicago and it seems that anywhere is a good place for thieves who are stubborn enough haha
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by thetruckguy
that's just it, is it worth the risk? mine was taken in broad daylight. i just came across something online that i am going to look into. its not a lock or anything but its supposed to protect the spring and cable i guess. if youre confident that it wont be taken in your driveway then maybe no worries. i live in chicago and it seems that anywhere is a good place for thieves who are stubborn enough haha
i can see how in some areas a lock would be beneficial. i haven't had a spare stolen, even on my '84 bronco II (its a swing out carrier outside the hatch, with just 3 lug nuts holding it on).

i live kinda out in the country, in arkansas. sneaking onto my property with bad intentions is not a very good idea. plus i can get spare rims cheap, tire included.

Quick Reply: spare tire