Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New owner with a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New owner with a question

Hello everyone, new guy checking in. Spent the last two nights reading this forum and am impressed.

I bought my first F150 back in 2000 (2wd 4.2 5sp SC). It has been then the best truck but it was time to upgrade to a 4X4.

Long story short, bought an 04 Super Crew Lariat with the 5.4 and 79K on the clock. So anyway, its a clean, nice truck and so far I love it. I do have a few issues though and was hoping I could leverage the knowledge of this forum.

1. The RSS button is always off, even when in reverse. Not that I'm broken up about it, but it would be nice if it worked.

2. The radio doesn't shut off for quite a while after I remove the key. The power windows even work after I remove the key AND open the door, is that normal? I assume they are related.

3. This is the SCARY one. For some reason, when I have the cruise set and I start climbing a hill, I get a vibration/rumble right as the torque converter appears to unlock. It seems as if I ran over light rumble strips at high speed. It has only happened three times, all today on the way home from work. I assume that if the TC was throwing fits, I'd get a dash light.

4. The well know spark plug issue. I'm going to have the dealer look up and see if they have ever been removed. The sad thing is that I just learned that the 3V heads on my 05 Mustang GT have the SAME ISSUE. Not looking for help on this though....the dealer will get to change them soon.

I appreciate any help. I look forward to owning this truck, just rather not dump too much money in it yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lime05; 03-19-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: type-os
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on number 3. Get the 60000 mile service done if you don't have documentation it was done. They will flush the tranny, if your dealer is honest, unlike mine, and that should help. Mine has vibrations, too, and has since new. If you can put your hand on the center console armrest when cruising and not feel ANY vibration, then it's not the driveshaft, but mine is out of balance. I would guess the RSS stays off because of either a fuse or the switch. It could only be the fuse, switch, or ecu. The ecu would be doing other things if it was that upset. My windows and radio work until I open the door. A lot of Ford dealers are idiots in my opinion, so you might have to look around for one that will help you with little stuff like the RSS. Mine has actually gone off for no apparent reason a couple of times. I think the code in the ECU leaves a lot to be desired, but I could be wrong. ANyway, good luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right and I should get the service done. I know the service manager at my dealer personally, but who really knows what goes on.

The door thing has me baffled. Its like the truck doesn't know I opened the door, but I get no door ajar alert. Weird......

I appreciate the help.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Ray

Originally Posted by Lime05
The door thing has me baffled. Its like the truck doesn't know I opened the door, but I get no door ajar alert. Weird......
This is probably just your door sensor being jammed. if you leave the keys in the ignition and open the door and it doesn't beep at you then it is not recognizing the door opening. A good test to see if it is jammed try opening the passenger side door first. If everything goes off then your drivers side sensor is jammed. If not then it could be a relay.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If the relay were stuck it would never shut off.. I have to agree on the door sensor. I also agree on flushing the transmission.. Thats always a good thing to do. I have NFI About the RSS
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NGM
If the relay were stuck it would never shut off.. I have to agree on the door sensor. I also agree on flushing the transmission.. Thats always a good thing to do. I have NFI About the RSS
There is a timer that will shut everything down after a few minutes of no activity with the radio, windows etc. to save the battery.(with key out)
Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 AM
PM me to run your VIN

1) Maybe a fuse is out or is disconnected from inside.
2) This is normal until a door is opened. I'm used to turning off the radio before turning off the vehicle.
3) Flush the transmission. For extra insurance, drop the pan and change the filter, too.
4) When I get a 5.4 F150 (in due time), I will chamge them out when I get it regardless of mileage.

Welcome to the site and enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Just got off the phone with the dealer scheduling the service. They are going to change the plugs and do the 60K service. Ford has no records of service to this truck so I doubt it has ever been serviced.

On the rumbling, he seems to think the TCC solenoid is the culprit. Does that sound logical?

Neither door will shut the radio off, will replace the relay and report back.

thanks everyone!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes the TCC can cause the torque convertor to shudder.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:56 AM

I hope so. It seems like a reasonable inexpensive repair. I love the truck and want to drive it. Now I just wish it would snow...one....last....time.

Quick Reply: New owner with a question