Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

batttey..electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batttey..electrical problem

run down:
03 f150 5.4 fx4 85,000 miles

problem:
2 days ago my battery light came on, volt meter still read above half, went to auto zone checked my battery and said it was bad, got a new one. also checked alternator said it was ok. so yesterday the light is on again, im about an hr from home so im driving and the voltmeter is decreasing steadily soon my radio cuts out, my A/C, my ABS light comes on, then the air bag light comes on, my odometer is fading and just as im about 5 min from home my whole instuament cluster stops working. i made it home but i dont know whats wrong. the belt is on, alternator is spinning...any ideas to save me money before i take it to the shop? thanks a bunch
Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 216 Likes on 193 Posts

Welcome to the site!

If you have a known good battery and alternator - would start inspecting the connections - cables and terminations.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 AM

I've got the same problem, '97 F150 4x4 5.4 replaced starter(solenoid busted)
Replaced alternator, battery checked = good, connections all look good, still volts go down, after running it just clicks when i try to restart, but takes a jump start no problem, am i missing something?

Last edited by kevlarsxs; 08-09-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

starter solenoid is bad. Ford does not have a solenoid built into the starter..............
Old 08-09-2009, 01:31 PM

yes, there is solenoid built on the starter, i think what your referring to would be the starter relay mounted on the firewall

Last edited by kevlarsxs; 08-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
gch

The little hump on top of the starter that has three wires on it is the solenoid.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:46 PM

correct.
just tried replacing starter relay......... My Truck freaked out, starter would not disengage, when i shut it down the starter kept trying to start for a few seconds.
If the truck sits for 1/2 hr. or so it will start, but if i run anything, A/C, Lights etc. the volts fall then wont restart for about 1/2 hr or so..........
Confused
Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
gch

Is it possible that the hot lead from the battery got put on the same lug on the relay as the lead going to the starter? Also is there a thermal cutout built into the alternator? That might explain why when you put more load on it and draw more amps, which would create more heat, it shuts the altenator down. It seems like it must be something heating up since when the truck cools down it starts again.

The wiring diagram I am looking at shows a couple of fusible links wired in series in the line from the battery to the relay. Have you checked those? Just a thought. The only other thing I can think to check is the gound from the battery to where it attaches to the engine. Also the one that attaches to the chassis. Maybye pull them off, clean up the studs and reattach. Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Replaced leads in order that they came off, don't know or unaware of a "thermal cutout" on the alternator, checked fusible links seem to be good, cleaned ground connections
Right now, if i jump start, it starts with full volts, as soon as i take the cables off my volts drop to nothing, could my alternator be bad already? Put a new one in Two days ago,looked at all connections all seem to be good....................
Old 08-09-2009, 06:02 PM
gch

Who tested your battery and did they do a load test?

Quick Reply: batttey..electrical problem