Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4WD issues?? truck got in 4wd on its own?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

Default 4WD issues?? truck got in 4wd on its own?

So this weekend I’m at the boat launch and go to pull my boat out of the water and as I spin the truck around to line up with the launch it starts hopping around like crazy and I can hear the tires barking on the pavement?? Its acting like its in 4WD, or the rear end is locked, I look down and the dash says 2H and no locking symbol in the dash, I look at the **** and its pushed in and the in 2h position where it always is?? So I stop, back up then go forward and its still hopping, I do this 3 times and its still hopping around… So finally I turn the **** to 4wd and it shifts and shows 4H in the dash, I go forward a few feet truck hops still, put it back in 2wd then back up a bit then go forward and dash says 2H again and now the truck acts normal like it has the past 3000 miles.

So what the heck happened here????? The truck mechanically was in 4wd as far as I’m concerned when it did this and I know that **** has not been turned to put it in 4wd for at least 2 months if not more and nobody else drives my truck. So how could it mechanically end up in 4wd without turning it to 4wd mode????
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
So this weekend I’m at the boat launch and go to pull my boat out of the water and as I spin the truck around to line up with the launch it starts hopping around like crazy and I can hear the tires barking on the pavement?? Its acting like its in 4WD, or the rear end is locked, I look down and the dash says 2H and no locking symbol in the dash, I look at the **** and its pushed in and the in 2h position where it always is?? So I stop, back up then go forward and its still hopping, I do this 3 times and its still hopping around… So finally I turn the **** to 4wd and it shifts and shows 4H in the dash, I go forward a few feet truck hops still, put it back in 2wd then back up a bit then go forward and dash says 2H again and now the truck acts normal like it has the past 3000 miles.

So what the heck happened here????? The truck mechanically was in 4wd as far as I’m concerned when it did this and I know that **** has not been turned to put it in 4wd for at least 2 months if not more and nobody else drives my truck. So how could it mechanically end up in 4wd without turning it to 4wd mode????

Ever had your mousy move around on your screen like when you're hacked or the gork squad is pretending to know what they're doing (You see their hands on your mousy but you can't believe such a being could actually have any sort of dexterity). See it's all electrical bits, mecha-anical things are now controlled by little electrical people that run along the wires and this is why we have babies.

This is why you're 4x4 engaged itself, it's interested in your feelings.

Next time you're driving your truck say hi, they're listening.
The following 2 users liked this post by coastdweller:
BStrummin (08-18-2015), srg963 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Be careful at the boat ramp as warranty may not cover broken parts.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/warnin...-water-226473/
Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldwrench
Be careful at the boat ramp as warranty may not cover broken parts.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/warnin...-water-226473/
Interesting... I think I see a F-150 pulling a boat in about 90% o their TV advertising, and maybe they should remove this from the 2015 catalog if what you say is true......

Regardless I'm more concerned about the truck going into 4wd drive on its own than worrying about the boat ramp warranty issues as I never use 4wd to pull my boat out of the water.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

This might sound stupid but are you sure it was 4WD? Could it have been the traction control working on a slippery ramp. Just by placing it in 4WD even on dry pavement will not make it hope and pop until you turn the wheel. This almost seems like a little sawgrass got under your tires and caused it to dance for you, causing the traction control to engage.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mlarv
This might sound stupid but are you sure it was 4WD? Could it have been the traction control working on a slippery ramp. Just by placing it in 4WD even on dry pavement will not make it hope and pop until you turn the wheel. This almost seems like a little sawgrass got under your tires and caused it to dance for you, causing the traction control to engage.

It absolutely was NOT the traction control, the fronts were barking the most.

This happened on the level ground where I was attempting to loop the trailer around to line it up with the ramp so the wheels were cranked and it was on bone dry 90 degree air temperature sun baked asphalt that I could hardly walk on barefoot without burning my feet.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

Just checking
Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM

So nobody has any ideas on how this could happen????

I believe this truck has vacuum for the 4x4 system?? Does it use vacuum to engage or disengage the 4wd?
Old 12-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

edit: wrong post

Last edited by 46L281GT; 12-30-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 4WD issues?? truck got in 4wd on its own?