Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Torque Converter Bolts to Engine - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque Converter Bolts to Engine - HELP!

I have two bolts left preventing me dropping my tranny. They are the two highest bolts on the passenger side that hold the torque converter to the engine block.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to reach them? I can't even get a hand in to guide a ratchet or wrench!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You said torque converter, which you can spin the crankshaft until they are at the bottom. I think you mean the upper bellhousing bolts though. If that's what you meant then you need to remove the transmission crossmember. Lower the transmission until the jack doesn't touch the transmission then raise it back up some to hold the weight. This will give some more room up there. Use a very long extension and a swivel. I sometimes have extensions so long the ratchet is behind the rear of the transmission. Wrap the swivel with electrical tape so it doesn't flop around so much when you are feeding it up to the bolts.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM

if its the bolts "sean" says, and if you can fit, i got inside my engine bay and loosened those from the top, you can probably swing a ratchet 120* from up there.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 PM

I managed to get to the troublesome bolts.

I didnt have a super long extention for my ratchet, so i thought outside of the box so to say.

Due to the fact I was planning on tearing out my interior, I did that while thinking of how I could reach the bolts. After tearing out the floor mat I discovered the shifter plate for a manual transmission shifter is only screwed in. I removed that and i was able to easily access the bolts. i reckon doing it this way, if your careful enough you can easily do it without ripping up the entire floor mat.
Attached Thumbnails Torque Converter Bolts to Engine - HELP!-dscf0054.jpg   Torque Converter Bolts to Engine - HELP!-dscf0055.jpg   Torque Converter Bolts to Engine - HELP!-dscf0056.jpg  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Comming in on this way to late. You clowns, get off your fat butts and crawl into the engine bay, the top two bolts are very accessable from the top with a 5/8 box end wrench, ---"Yawn"---. Guys this is basic wrench twisting 101. Ask me how I know and what I went thru 30 years ago.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:54 PM

You have come in late cause the jobs done.

No matter how i position myself above the engine bay. There was no way i could get a ratchet onto the bolts and then go ahead and undo them. I don't have all the best tools that can do everything under the sun so i made do with what i had and i got the job done.

Personally i found the way i did it a lot easier than other suggestions (hence the reason i did it) and considering i was taking out my interior it wasn't a problem or inconvenience to do it.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, how did you remove the shifter without removing the plate anyways? You have a really big hole there Good job, now the tough part is over, ..............sorry, you will have to put it back!!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM

I'm not putting it back in. The truck is gonna be towed and we're gonna let a pro put it back in a day instead of 3.

And its an auto so i didnt have to remove the shifter. I didnt get a pic of the plate, but its just a sheet of formed steel screwed in. All i have to do is screw it back in and seal it with silicone

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Bolts to Engine - HELP!