Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1990 F150 driver door problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 F150 driver door problem

Hey guys,

This is my first time to the site/posting, and I wanted to get a little advice/insight on how to go about this problem.

My driver door sags when I open it up and won't close unless I give the door a little boost up while closing. I understand I need to replace the pins and bushings on the door, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it so I don't have to take it to a mechanic or attempt to do it myself and find myself without a door because I muffed it up.

Thanks in advance!
Zack
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
mmmm.....

i got a new door hinge from Ford for $40 and took a couple minutes to swap it out. but i also had manual windows and door locks. not hard at all though.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM

It's very easy to swap door hinges. I had the same prob on my 89. Hopefully you have a junkyard in driving range, there should be PLENTY of our trucks there. just go get a good hinge drivers or passengers are the same top and bottom are different, should cost about $5 if u pull it. then to replace it just open the door all the way and undo the 4 bolts holding the door to the hinges (top and bottom) make sure and support the door. then you can slide the door back far enough to take out the 3 bolts holding the bad hinge on, shouldn't have to disconnect any wires. the plate that the hinge screws to is not attached to the pillar so either keep a bolt in it loosely and try not to let it fall or pop off your kiker panel and hold it in place. then just line the new hinge up with the paint and reinstall the door and your done!

Last edited by ganey1986; 05-29-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Love Ford or F*** Off

i was lazy and had MIDAS change it out LOL
Old 06-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Different door problem

Figured I'd ask here instead of starting a whole new thread. My driver door wont stay open, just swings back shut. It's more annoying than anything else. What do I need to do to fix this?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by dockman
Figured I'd ask here instead of starting a whole new thread. My driver door wont stay open, just swings back shut. It's more annoying than anything else. What do I need to do to fix this?
Mine does the same thing. Just checked it to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. On the top hinge there is a roller and a tab of metal that engages the roller. My tab is flat, you can try bending the tab out more to hit the roller again. Of course my passenger side is missing the roller altogether. Check the passenger side and see how they compare. Don't bend the tab too much or the door won't close right.

Quick Reply: 1990 F150 driver door problem