Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race red paint in a can

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Race red paint in a can

Hey boys. So here's how she goes. I tried getting myself some Race Red paint from the local Ford dealership here in Toronto because Canadian tire didn't have any duplicolour in my colour, colour code PQ.
So they put her on order for me. Two months later I cancel the order because she still didn't come in yet.
I drive down to Texas, 'cause you can do that if'n you don't mind the long haul, and I looks for some paint for my truck. No luck folks. I tried O'reiliy's autozone, napa, and some others I never heard of, we don't got that kinda stuff in Soviet Canada. So I gets to googlin and turns out duplicolour doesn't make paint with PQ code anymore. They make everyothergoddamned ****in colour but not race red I promise you.
Now Listen, alls I wants to do is fix the bubblin paint on my fx4 bumpers. It's a problem, you know it, I seen yall talking 'bout it...but by god they sure do make it hard for a feller.
Turns out Napa Canada has a nice ole paint mixer facility in Brampton of all the Lord's dark armpits on his green earth. Long story short (too late now I know, I been payin' attention boys) $35 Canadian Rubles per can, and I gots myself a bumper fixer upper. Napa also had the 2k clear coat I needed for $28 a can.
If anyone knows of a better/cheaper way to get race red PQ paint done in Canada, you be sure to let me know. I don't mind being the guy to pay too much for too little, I just think it was a shame this whole thing was such a hassle in the year of our Lord baby Jesus 2017.
Nasdarovia!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Red is going to cost a premium however you want to swing it in the wind. So, I take it, you got it from NAPA?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
Red is going to cost a premium however you want to swing it in the wind. So, I take it, you got it from NAPA?
Yeah, I finally got her done from Napa. A real nice lady by the name of Crystal took care of me. She was fantastic.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I am in the same boat as you.

The following users liked this post:
vtoy1 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:52 AM
OG

Received 243 Likes on 194 Posts

Could have saved yourself a lot of time and money going to automotivetouchup.con
vtoy1 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by cmbezln
Could have saved yourself a lot of time and money going to automotivetouchup.con
The OP is in Canada so I don't know how cost effective it would be. I would assume shipping any sort of chemical across the border wouldn't be super cheap.
vtoy1 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I just happen to be in Texas, and there is an O'Riellys nearby that has an in-house paint match/mix shop, including putting the stuff in spary cans for you. They bring a "gizmo" out to your vehicle for a color match. I was going to have some done for my jeep but found some DupliColor that was close enough.

2 can minimum, $25-30/per can I believe, additional cans cheaper.
vtoy1 (04-05-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by cmbezln
Thanks. I did find these guys on the googler. They had some reasonable prices and looked like they ccould get things done for me so I gave em a call. I've run into trouble getting things like pressurized liquids across the boarder before.
These guys have had the same problem apparently because the nice feller on the other end told me they stopped shipping to Canada about a year ago because it wasn't worth the hassle for them. Otherwise, yes I would have gladly used automotivetouchup.com
Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
I am in the same boat as you.

That's about what mine looks like as well, not so bad but certainly getting there. I think the underlying problem may lie with the base steel of the bumper itself. I think ford may have chinced out on the carbon content of the steel and used a real mild, soft steel for our painted bumpers. You put some salt on that mild steel and she's gunna bubble much faster than whatever steel they're using for the rest of the body.
That's a sweet winch by the way. I love it!