Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Housing Compatible with stock HID Lights - 2014 Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight Housing Compatible with stock HID Lights - 2014 Platinum

Hi gang,

New member here with some new member questions. I've scoured the forums for some aftermarket headlight housing options that will work with the stock HID's that are on my 2014 platinum. I'm not familiar with many brand names, and most aftermarket websites I look at are only compatible with Halogen bulbs for my year. I'd prefer not to retrofit as I'm happy with the HID. Does anyone know of any headlight housings that would work.

This is all I could find, and I can't decide if I like them or not: LINK
Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 142 Likes on 135 Posts

You can get the same lights in chrome, which I think would look much better on a Platinum.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you want a while new headlight? Maybe you can get some different bulbs. Finding a while housing that will reuse your current hid equipment will probably be impossible. You can get bulbs (D1S) online but I would stick with a reputable dealer theretrofitsource.com comes to mind. I like the color of the osram cbi. Good luck
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 912 Likes on 598 Posts

Factory hid's are a D3S setup. Nothing aftermarket is going to use that bulb/ballast, and most aftermarket projectors are actually a halogen projector, not a true hid projector... and IMO most aftermarkets look ricey to me.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Factory hid's are a D3S setup. Nothing aftermarket is going to use that bulb/ballast, and most aftermarket projectors are actually a halogen projector, not a true hid projector... and IMO most aftermarkets look ricey to me.
As eyecandy stated, there is nothing aftermarket that will run your OEM setup. My question is, why do you want to change the headlights? If they are performing well, why change? Do you want a different look?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:06 AM

Those Spyder lights use the OEM HID setup, and they have some pretty good reviews as far as output goes as the projectors are actually meant for HID bulbs.

http://www.spyderauto.com/product.ph...HID-C&t=spyder
Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by paintballdude05
Those Spyder lights use the OEM HID setup, and they have some pretty good reviews as far as output goes as the projectors are actually meant for HID bulbs.

Well, there you go.

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 AM

I'm debating on getting a set vs. doing a retrofit with OEM lights, decisions, decisions...
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

There are a few options that will run your factory setup (ballasts and D3S bulbs), but for only a few hundred dollars more you can get a good retrofit set on ebay. I've had a few versions of aftermarket headlights and nothing ever comes close to a good retrofit. You'll actually probably end up spending less on the retrofit since you won't end up buying multiple sets of headlights (speaking from experience here) to get that look you're going for. Here's the beam spread on the retrofits I have now. VERY wide.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Again, total newb here, but what is D3S (verus D1S someone else mentioned)? Is that in relation to the type of HID bulb? Are D3S quality where D1S aren't?

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
As eyecandy stated, there is nothing aftermarket that will run your OEM setup. My question is, why do you want to change the headlights? If they are performing well, why change? Do you want a different look?
Good to know. The reason is simply I want a different look. The 2014 platinum has more chrome than I would like (lights, grill, side trim, wheels), and this was going to be my first step at replacing eye. So far as the performance of the OEM bulbs, they are fantastic, which is why I was looking for an aftermarket housing that woudl work with them. Sounds like that isn't the way it works.

Originally Posted by paintballdude05

Yeah, this is all I could find. I like the look of a number of other lights, but it seems like this may be the only option with my OEM HID's.

Originally Posted by discodave
There are a few options that will run your factory setup (ballasts and D3S bulbs), but for only a few hundred dollars more you can get a good retrofit set on ebay. I've had a few versions of aftermarket headlights and nothing ever comes close to a good retrofit. You'll actually probably end up spending less on the retrofit since you won't end up buying multiple sets of headlights (speaking from experience here) to get that look you're going for. Here's the beam spread on the retrofits I have now. VERY wide.
I guess this is where I am trying to educate myself more. Is retrofitting essentially buying a kit (ballast, HID, housing) and "retrofitting" it to my truck? I've looked on retrofitsource.com, so would I be retrofitting my truck with new aftermarket housings, and different HID's that are compatible with that housing in order to get the look I want? If I took this option I'd essentially do a retrofit only because I don't have any other options right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

What do you mean multiple sets of headlights? If I found something that worked with OEM, I would buy the housings once and lights whenever OEM go out right?

Thanks everyone for the help and replies