Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Front Camera to XLT

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 583 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by jdroller
More to come on the non-camera ready 3 bar grille. Modified mine last night and installed the Camera-source front camera without having to buy a new grille. Will finish up later this week. Great quality of the products and as TexasFording said, get customer service and support. These people are not trying to take advantage of you and they have quality products. This combination is hard to find at times.

I'm a fan.
Looking forward to seeing how it came out on a retrofitted camera grill. I assume your grill had the mounting points on the inside?

I agree on this camera kit, and camera-source. They have been very helpful via email, and calling them direct. I broke my front harness, and they sent me a replacement! I only paid for express shipping because I wanted it sooner. I have the front camera/grill installed. I am waiting on a part to complete the side cameras. I have manual tow mirrors, which do not have a location for the camera as on the standard mirrors as shown in the instructions. So, I needed to retrofit something on the mirror to accommodate the camera. I'll post pics once complete.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carrierj
Looking forward to seeing how it came out on a retrofitted camera grill. I assume your grill had the mounting points on the inside?

I agree on this camera kit, and camera-source. They have been very helpful via email, and calling them direct. I broke my front harness, and they sent me a replacement! I only paid for express shipping because I wanted it sooner. I have the front camera/grill installed. I am waiting on a part to complete the side cameras. I have manual tow mirrors, which do not have a location for the camera as on the standard mirrors as shown in the instructions. So, I needed to retrofit something on the mirror to accommodate the camera. I'll post pics once complete.
I'm curious on how it will turn out.

Are you planning on mounting the camera on the fixe part or on the mirror itself ?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ajean
I'm curious on how it will turn out.

Are you planning on mounting the camera on the fixe part or on the mirror itself ?
It will go on the fixed part, under/near the mirrors' folding pivot point, as close to the truck as possible. There isn't enough space between the outside plastic housing, and the metal guts on the inside to insert the camera all the way in. My plan is to mount a black nylon bushing to insert the camera into and extend it down a little. I had to change my plan a little from my original thinking. I wanted to get the camera as close to the truck as possible and not be on the mirror or any other part that would fold in with the mirror. Good thing these side cameras are compact, it only requires about 3/8"-1/2" clearance on the inside. The bushings I ordered should be in today. I'll see how it fits this evening, I can remove the mirror and bring it inside to work on.

I hope to have the project completed this weekend. It's dark by the time I get home during the week, leaving me no daylight to work in. Already screwed up one harness!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:55 AM

It will go on the fixed part, under/near the mirrors' folding pivot point, as close to the truck as possible. There isn't enough space between the outside plastic housing, and the metal guts on the inside to insert the camera all the way in. My plan is to mount a black nylon bushing to insert the camera into and extend it down a little. I had to change my plan a little from my original thinking. I wanted to get the camera as close to the truck as possible and not be on the mirror or any other part that would fold in with the mirror. Good thing these side cameras are compact, it only requires about 3/8"-1/2" clearance on the inside. The bushings I ordered should be in today. I'll see how it fits this evening, I can remove the mirror and bring it inside to work on.

I hope to have the project completed this weekend. It's dark by the time I get home during the week, leaving me no daylight to work in. Already screwed up one harness!
Had a similar idea. Still waiting for my kit to arrive. Looking forward to see how it turns out and pics of your project.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Closeup

Does anyone have a closeup of the grill where camera mints. My lariat grill has some cutout marks under the emblem. I guess this grill is no good ?
Attached Thumbnails Adding Front Camera to XLT-img_1438.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Default 3 bar?

Originally Posted by Aashu
Does anyone have a closeup of the grill where camera mints. My lariat grill has some cutout marks under the emblem. I guess this grill is no good ?
I assume this is a 3 bar grille. That is what mine looked like.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM

I'd like to do somthing like that...

This was taken from http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/galle...w-mirror/?im=3
Old 12-13-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ajean
I'd like to do somthing like that...
Yes, I was wanting to do something like that too. Below is a picture of the mirror with camera from a new 2017 F250. It looks like these mirrors would fit, but not sure. Also not wanting to wait forever to find out a part number only to learn that they cost a fortune and not in stock or something. It would be nice if the camera portion was separate and could be added though.

Below is a picture of the first attempt, which was a cut length of a 3/4" PVC fitting. The ID was a perfect fit for the camera. I had to plasti-dip it because it was white. I abandoned the idea because I didn't like the way it came out. But the black nylon bushing that i will try should work better... I hope. If I butcher up these manual mirrors too bad, I can justify getting some power fold mirrors!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default ok

Originally Posted by jdroller
I assume this is a 3 bar grille. That is what mine looked like.

It is indeed lariat 3-bar. Where do I look for mounting holes
Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aashu
It is indeed lariat 3-bar. Where do I look for mounting holes
They should be on the back side of the grill under the badge, same area as the cutout. Should be 3 screw holes.

Quick Reply: Adding Front Camera to XLT