Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit Power Fold Tow Mirrors to XLT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Catcher22
If I have a 18 XLT 302a with tow mirrors with the lights what do I need to do to make them power folding?
Exactly what features do your current tow mirrors have? If they include puddle and spotlights I dont think you need the harnesses. But if they aren't power folding you would have to replace them with tow mirrors that have the power fold capability and you would need a new switch.

There are some aftermarket power folding mirrors that can be used. But again, it would depend on your existing wiring and may mean using a switch included with the aftermarket mirrors.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by naplesbill
Exactly what features do your current tow mirrors have? If they include puddle and spotlights I dont think you need the harnesses. But if they aren't power folding you would have to replace them with tow mirrors that have the power fold capability and you would need a new switch.

There are some aftermarket power folding mirrors that can be used. But again, it would depend on your existing wiring and may mean using a switch included with the aftermarket mirrors.
I don't pick up my truck till next week but my window sticker says man tel/fld with power glass and led spot lights
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Catcher22
I don't pick up my truck till next week but my window sticker says man tel/fld with power glass and led spot lights
I think you could do it without replacing your harnesses then. You would have to get power folding mirrors though. You may have to do some wiring for the power fold but not sure.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Info about swapping pins 18 and 19 for auto fold

Hey All

Thank you all for the info and effort. The thread and the write up was amazing. I successfully did this last night and this morning. I did run across an unusual one. I bought the trail ridge power fold towing mirrors, on those if you swap the pins it actually doesnt work right.. just an FYI

Jeremy
Old 05-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Jeremy.

So when you left the wiring the way they came from trail ridge they auto fold?

I made the wiring swap and made the changes in forscan but they operate I'm reverse. I wonder if I just need to switch my wiring back to the way they came
Old 05-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nexoidian
Hey Jeremy.

So when you left the wiring the way they came from trail ridge they auto fold?

I made the wiring swap and made the changes in forscan but they operate I'm reverse. I wonder if I just need to switch my wiring back to the way they came
Yes! when i swapped the pins they worked in reverse, Put the pins back the way there were from the factory on the harness and they auto fold correctly.. This is with the trailridge mirrors.

Speaking of trail ridge mirrors, do you like them? my drivers one the glass doesnt adjust smoothly its jumpy, and the passenger one the mirror surface of the top mirror is distorted and wavy, looks terrible.

Jeremy
Old 05-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't had any issues with them. And haven't noticed and oddities.

Thanks for the info. Any chance you can take a pic of your harnesses and either post them or email them to be? I can't remember if I have them reversed or factory right now
Old 05-06-2018, 05:07 PM

did you replace the door harnesses with the lariat ones?
if so then

Pins # 18 and 19 (mirror fold in/out) of the 22 pin mirror harness connector (Driver side - C521 & Passenger side - C622) must be swapped – refer to attached photos

i. ii.

iii.

Remove interior sail trim panel from door
Unplug exterior mirror wiring harness connector and remove the red lock. The outside edge just needs to be flexed enough to slide away from the connector.
Remove pins # 18 & 19 and swap their positions**:
  1. Driver side colors: Pin # 18 - Violet / Brown & Pin # 19 - Green / Violet
  2. Passenger side colors: Pin # 18 Brown & Pin # 19 White / Orange
**On the wire side of the 22 pin mirror harness connector you will see small numbers in the corners indicating pin location - 1, 11, 12 & 22

thats from the walk thru guide avail on this thread. it has pics and the wiring diagram.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys,

have had my truck for a couple of months now. I need to get power folding lol. Too many situations where one having to fold them by hand.

can you guys check my math here?

2018 XLT SCREW sport 302a, power, heated, non blue tow mirrors with spotlights and puddle lamps. All I want to do is add the power folding feature.

From my reading anf figuring I’d need:

power folding mirrors (duh)
new mirror switch with power folding button
invert pin 18/19 on my harnesses?
forscan programming the door modules for the folding feature.

Afaik I won’t need the harnesses because I already have the 21 pin connector and iirc the door modules can actually be programmed and don’t have to be replaced?

Anyone see anything I'm missing?

thanks
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM
forscan noob

Received 298 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Lightning
Hey guys,

have had my truck for a couple of months now. I need to get power folding lol. Too many situations where one having to fold them by hand.

can you guys check my math here?

2018 XLT SCREW sport 302a, power, heated, non blue tow mirrors with spotlights and puddle lamps. All I want to do is add the power folding feature.

From my reading anf figuring I’d need:

power folding mirrors (duh)
new mirror switch with power folding button
invert pin 18/19 on my harnesses?
forscan programming the door modules for the folding feature.

Afaik I won’t need the harnesses because I already have the 21 pin connector and iirc the door modules can actually be programmed and don’t have to be replaced?

Anyone see anything I'm missing?

thanks
the xlt 22pin harness is missing most of the wires needed to make it work so you either need to add them or replace the harness. the module can only be programed if the truck has blis already and since you say you already have the non power tow mirrors you will need the new module. the modules can be had for about 25 a door. also pick the mirror for your future plans if you plan to add bliss down the road or the 360 camera so you don't have to buy twice

Quick Reply: Retrofit Power Fold Tow Mirrors to XLT