Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dixie Horn install write up

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Dixie Horn install write up

So Sunday I installed my dixie horn I took off my 2007. It went great until I shut the hood all the way so kiddos learn from my mistake but I will show you how you can wire up a musical horn and yet still have your lock, panic, alarm, confirmation beeps. Oh and I did it this way because I think momentaty switches are ghetto-fabulous.
Firrst you will need an extra SPDT relay. I took mine and ran it from the horn, to the 30 tab, then out of 87a back to horn, 87 to themusical horn 85 (hot turn on) tab of that 30 amp regular relay. I ran 2 wires into the cab. Originally was just going to run a ground into the cab, add a toggle switch to ground to trip the DPST. But then thought no, I want my confirmation beeps, and panic to work. Also, if I leave it switched to dixie horn, that SPDT relay is a parasitic drain on battery. Not a large one but one more parisite.
I was going to use my 12v aux as my trigger hot for SPDT relay but that was hot all the time. So I ran it all the way to the column as well. I used the white with red stripe in ignition as my trigger wire, left some extra on my ground to SPDT relay also in column to add a kill switch later (that way if I want to regular honk at someone I can). With my SPDT wired this way the default horn is to the regular horn with or without power to thr SPDT relay. In remote start mode, I still get a confirmation beep if I lock, RS RS to extend Remote Start run time. Dixie horn will literally not work unless there is a key in ignition to on position.
I will try to upload video. This all worked great but was short lived. When i shut my hood all the way, I smashed my 40 amp breaker for the musical horn. Darn near burned the truck to the ground because this shorted it streight to ground and would not trip as the contacts were literally on the frame. Thank God I caught on to all that. It cost me the compressor on the dixie horn and 5 amp breaker #42 in cab (so no tow/haul mode until that was replaced).
I havee since moved the fuse block over a few inches and replaced breaker.
Top wire is where I got hot for SPDT relay trigger.

SPDT relay on left, regular 30 or 40 amp relay on right.
Ground on column with extra wire for later toggle switch.
Notice to the left the thing with 2 screws in grey part holding it to radiator core support and two nuts with wire connectors on it? That WAS my breaker. Yeah don't put that there or anything for that matter, otherwise the hood will smash it. DOH!

Last edited by dhonnoll; 02-27-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 AM

Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 AM

Received 5,993 Likes on 3,555 Posts

Yeehaw!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts

Absolutely Awesome & thanks for the write-up
Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 499 Likes on 357 Posts

care to share how you mounted the Dixie horn?

I like it lol
Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I have never understood the draw of people wanting to do this..
Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 PM

So, an update. I took and dremmeled out a rough circle where my foot pedal adjuster switch WOULD be if I had one of them fancy pants trucks, and I added a toggle switch to the ground. This was the real reason for running the ground All the way to the steering column in the first place. I only ran the hot so I could get something hot with ignition only. Originally was going to be hot all the time but thought naaa that's one more parasite and I can make this thing even cooler than that. So, here it is with toggle switch in the column for a "kill switch" so I can regular honk if I want to. YES separating all this out with a momentary switch would have been much easier but IMO jankie lookin and just not cool.

Last edited by dhonnoll; 03-19-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added wrong link
Old 03-19-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
I have never understood the draw of people wanting to do this..
You never had a childhood if you didn't grow up watchin the Duke Boys and fantasizing about having that Charger and jumping it like they did like it was real and out running out smarting crooked cops and mayors. HAHA.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
care to share how you mounted the Dixie horn?

I like it lol
It is a really crappy mount right now. I plan to add some angle iron and re mount them. Right now I just have horns mounted to the front bumper facia inside of the bumper, 2 on the hood latch opener, and the compressor, well it is just dangling there riding on the rubber/plastic thing that splash guards the radiator and maybe redirects SOME air from the front bumper hole to the radiator. I will post pics when it is worth looking at.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I want a "bmeep bmeep" horn off and old Plymouth Road Runner! That way I could blow it when my EB is running away from a Coyote! LOL
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (03-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Dixie Horn install write up