Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't cut this wire kiddos

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Don't cut this wire kiddos

So, I wanted to run a cable through my already existing cable gromet on the passenger side. I think popping them out and shoving a cable beside them is just janky lookin. Well I would up doing just that, temporarily. But while messing with it, i tried cutting the tape, and the zip tie to get it in such a way I could work and shove one more, 3 wire cable (and connector) through there. In my haste I cut the purple and white wire. Ehh lets see what stopped working. Windows work, radio works, all buttons on the AC work, meh for grins lets put it in rever... oh snap. This thing wont go into gear. Oh it thinks the passenger door is open, probably didn't shut it good, no big deal. I'll shut the door and... nope. Oh driver door open shut it and nope. Wait a sec. Do I have brake lights? NOPE. No brake lights, means no going in gear folks. I patched it for now. Not my best patch work, but it will get the kids to school ane me to work and home tomorrow. Was trying to wire up the lights you'll see in the pics. Gonna mount them in the morning. Had a pre-wired kit. It is NICE. Yes, could have wired a switch and relay myself but the kit made it so nice. Well, it did until I got in a hurry and did what I did.

Last edited by dhonnoll; 02-08-2018 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Typeos galore
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

I've had the same fear doing that, but (lucky for me) not the same results. Is there another way through the firewall?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Good thing you didn't cut the gray wire.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PARIAH
I've had the same fear doing that, but (lucky for me) not the same results. Is there another way through the firewall?
My way was not the proper way, but i used a metal coat hanger to push through the rubber grommet about 1/2" from the outside edge and create my own path. Tapped my wires to the end of the hanger and then pulled it through into the engine side.

It took a bit of force to get through, but the rubber sealed up around my wires tight and it has held up well for the last year or so.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Can you share the led and wiring kit you're using?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

The grommet has a add-an-accessory section. That nipple looking thing, you can cut an X into it with a knife, and feed the wire through, it will even seal around the wire.

See Picture 3 in the thread below

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/kicker...0/#post4290596

Quick Reply: Don't cut this wire kiddos