Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

Trailer wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer wiring help needed

Hi All
I need some help with wiring up my lights for my boat trailer.

The lights I have installed on my running board have 5 wires which are detailed as follows:
Black – Earth
Yellow – Indicator
Red – Stop/Brake
White – Reverse
Green – Tail/Running

Obviously I have one on either side of the running board and need to wire these to a 7 pin Pollak plug to connect to my 2012 XLT.
I have the wiring diagram that came with the truck however I cannot figure out the brakes/indicator wiring for the plug. On the diagram it has pin 5 and 6 as the left/right indicators and brake lights however if I connect the indicator and brake lights as mentioned in the diagram, then as soon as I apply brakes or use the indicators both lights come on at the same time.

I’ve also tried keeping the indicators on pins 5 and 6 and connect the brake lights to pin 2, brake controller output, instead as I have no brakes on my trailer however when I apply brakes then the indicator lights come on. I have double checked the cabling and the connections are correct and all the other lights work fine except the brake lights.

I’m no auto electrician so apologies if I have missed something obvious but I would appreciate any help regarding this
Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Try this link https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Choos...ring-a/330.htm. Scroll down until you see the configuration you have. This should point you in the right direction.