Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

Swap out Mazda 5-speed for 4-speed w/granny

Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Swap out Mazda 5-speed for 4-speed w/granny

New member hear-hello to all. I have a 94 F-150 4x4 extra cab with 300 I-6 and the Mazda 5-speed manual. With 3.08 gearing and 31" tires it's a dog in first. I know I can go back to the 235 tires to improve the gear ratio but the 31's look really good on it. I could swap out both axles but the time and expense are not appealing. Since I need to change out the clutch and the transmission has been whining a bit lately I'm entertaining changing out the transmission to a 4-speed with granny low. Anybody do this? Is there a 4-speed that does not require as much work as others? I know about the clutch differences but I was hoping to find somebody who has gone down this road. Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM

Liked 366 Times in 333 Posts

Better bet would be to find a ZF5 for a small block. Has the granny low you are looking for plus a nice overdrive ratio that actually puts out less rpms than the Mazda. They put them behind the 300 in F250's of that era.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swap out Mazda 5-speed for 4-speed w/granny

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: