Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

Front Tank Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Tank Bypass

Is there anyway I can bypass my front fuel tank on my 1996 F150 XL? It hasn't worked in years and my gas will drain out of my back tank and I'm tired of losing gas.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM
USCG MKC

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWidow1996
Is there anyway I can bypass my front fuel tank on my 1996 F150 XL? It hasn't worked in years and my gas will drain out of my back tank and I'm tired of losing gas.
Not a 100% on the setup the later models had. Mine is a 1990 and I just cut the return line going to the rear tank and directed all return fuel to go to the front tank. If you want return going to just the rear, separate the front tank. Pretty easy just have to trace out where your lines are. I had mine done in about half an hour.
The following users liked this post:
MJ CAMP (03-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Just posted this picture somewhere else for another problem, but that is what your fuel line setup looks like.
Notice that both the pressure and return lines split at the filter.
So - you can get a set of rear lines from a single tank truck and change them from the filter back.
Or you can cut the lines where they branch off for the front tank and seal them off.
Don't join them together
It sounds like a pain, but actually once the front tank is out of the way, you can unhook the lines from their little plastic holders and pull it right down where you can get at it, or right out of the truck if you unhook the ends.

Don't forget to also block off the vapour line.

Quick Reply: Front Tank Bypass