Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

91 F-150 Engine Trans removal help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 91 F-150 Engine Trans removal help

Hi group! I'm sure this will be easy for those who have done this before. I am not a mechanic, just a weekend warrior! So I have a real nice 1991 F-150 5.0 E4OD that I need some advice on the engine/trans removal. I am trying to pull both engine and trans as 1 unit. Everything is disconnected. I pulled the core support and (eventually) the hood. Using a newer lift I borrowed from a friend. Chain around main crank and bolted to bell housing at top. When lifting I cant get the bell housing past the crossmember or engine mounts without the intake hitting the upper firewall. The starter also seems to be an issue. I tried reattaching so the unit was higher in the front with the trans tail sitting on the driveway, still no luck. A friend said the front of the truck needed to be elevated. If I do that, the hoist wont go high enough to pull it out??? What advice can you offer? I appreciate the help!!

Old 09-05-2022, 01:52 PM

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by AdMan2547
I am trying to pull both engine and trans as 1 unit. ... What advice can you offer?
Don't.

Why are you trying to take both of them out? It's MUCH easier to remove only the 1 that needs pulling. But if you're absolutely determined to continue, REMOVE THE TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER - it bolts in for a reason. The bolt heads should be 15mm, and the nuts 18mm.

(click this text)

You should put ALL the truck's details & history (as much as you know) into your signature so it shows with each post, as this page explains:

(click this text)

Phone apps don't always show signatures, so you may need to switch to a real browser in desktop mode on your phone, or just use a desktop/laptop computer. Put your location in your profile & upload an avatar of the truck. The more pics you post of the truck, engine, wiring, labels, & undercarriage, the more likely we can help you.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sorry forgot to mention trans cross member is out and I will update my info soon. Still needing some suggestions thanks. FYI, the engine is a rebuildable core, as is the transmission. I have replacement units for both so not interested in salvaging either.
Old 09-05-2022, 05:33 PM

Received 187 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes sorry forgot to mention trans cross member is out and I will update my info soon. Still needing some suggestions thanks. FYI, the engine is a rebuildable core, as is the transmission. I have replacement units for both so not interested in salvaging either.
So then just drop the trans?
Old 09-05-2022, 06:47 PM

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,489 Posts

...I cant get the bell housing past the crossmember or engine mounts...
...trans cross member is out...
So the engine MOUNTS are still on the frame perches - not on the block? Either way - this would be MUCH easier if you separated them. The truck was not designed for what you're doing to happen. The powertrain was installed as a unit, but NOT when the cab was on the chassis.

Quick Reply: 91 F-150 Engine Trans removal help