Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

1995 2x4 to 4x4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 2x4 to 4x4 swap

I currently have a 1995 F150 4.9l 5 speed 2x4 reg cap shortbed truck (pictured below) and have been toying with the idea of making it 4x4. I'm going to start looking through junkyards for a donor vehicle and parts. What parts would I need to successfully swap the drivetrain?

Old 07-29-2021, 12:54 PM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Most everything from the front end/suspension. You will need to probably find the single shock truck -not sure if you could adapt the quad shock design or if that is part of the stuff you'd have to swap.
Transfer case and electronics to control everything.

This is a big undertaking and I don't mean it to sound disrespectful -but normally if a person doesn't know what parts are required to do the swap -that person shouldn't be attempting the custom build. Or at least not in post #1 of joining a forum asking 'what do I need".

It is best to source a 4x4 to keep on your property to inspect and transfer anything that needs to be transferred. Your truck will be out of commission of course and traveling to get the part we forget to tell you about will be difficult unless you have another vehicle (which I assume you do).
It has been done very few times (by forum members).

You can take time to search the forum. I suggest using Google though.
If you search something like "Ford 4x4 conversion f150forum". that type of search will do a good job of finding things here on f150forum that meet the criteria you asked for.

Keep your thread active with updates and progress please. Will be nice to see how the transformation takes place.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the reply! I've got another truck to use in the meantime, this is just my project truck. I have a good idea of the parts I would need, was mostly curious about specific models of parts and compatibility between them. I'm not used to using forums, but ill continue to dig.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:34 PM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabor
Appreciate the reply! I've got another truck to use in the meantime, this is just my project truck. I have a good idea of the parts I would need, was mostly curious about specific models of parts and compatibility between them. I'm not used to using forums, but ill continue to dig.
Gotcha!
It's not unusual for people to want to take on this task thinking it is an easy thing and just want to know "tell me what parts to get so I can convert".
I can probably only tell you the things you already know about.
Like earlier, the TTB system and brackets, etc. Maybe the shock tower -you'd have to compare the 2 trucks.
Of course transfer case and shifter. Manual shift would be easier than having to wire up the electronic shift. I don't have a clue how one would even do that.
I don't know if the pitman arm is different on 2wd vs 4wd.
It's been a long time since I've been under that type of truck to remember anything more.
A few people here may have better clues.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:44 PM

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,488 Posts

This forum is for posting your "How To" article after you've figured out HOW TO do something to your truck.
https://www.f150forum.com/f97/do-not...ection-227189/

Quick Reply: 1995 2x4 to 4x4 swap