Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

1984 manual clutch replacement help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1984 manual clutch replacement help needed

Hello all. Have a need for some advice and guidance. Have a standard tranny with the clutch worn out. I have purchased the clutch, but never installed one before. Read the Haynes manual, but that leaves much to imagination. Here is the dilemma, truck was towed home two weeks ago and dropped off in front of my home on the sub-division street. So, that has a slight slant to right and down hill in front of truck. Dangerous to work there with cars passing by. I am thinking to have it moved to driveway or a garage. The primary question, if I place this in my driveway, can I replace the clutch, spring plate, pressure plate and remove the fly wheel to have it turned, by moving the tranny back about four inches from the engine and settle on the cross member or does this require the tranny to come all the way out? Can I tackle this in a drive way without dropping the tranny to the ground? Is this too big a project and have it towed to a garage and have someone help me? I purchased an attachment for my floor jack that is a tranny lift. Not 100% sure best way to support the rear of the engine. I have 20 ton house jacks, but they do not reach all the way up to the sides of the oil pan to hold the engine. I was thinking today of using wooden blocks on top of the house jacks and place the wood against the engine/ oil pan lip to help support while I detach the tranny. Just did not look safe and not on the street. Any pointers? Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The exhaust does a pretty good job of holding the motor, but a ratchet strap from somewhere on the front of the motor down to the frame has worked for me.
I think you'll find it's much simpler to just take the tranny right out and put it back in after. My kid's done an automatic with 4x4 in the driveway here which is much heavier, so it's very possible for you to do it as long as you're somewhat tool savvy and reasonably determined.
I've found it easier to unbolt the master clutch cylinder and drop it down attached to the tranny than to undo the line, but whatever works best for you.

Quick Reply: 1984 manual clutch replacement help needed