Topic Sponsor
Exterior "How-To" articles pertaining to the Exterior of an F150

Painting how to

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Painting how to

Where do i get info on painting tips, kind of like what a newbi might need. Im familiar with the prepping just not into the mixing of enamels and clear coats, air pressure, std vs hvlp, siphon or gravity, as well as application techniques (overlap) etc persay.
What you see in my avitar is what im currently building, click on my header for pics on where i am now, thought I'd better start asking & pondering the paint so I'll know something when i get to it. Im going for a pro finish job on my 1st shot at it
Pres Trump say think big.... i think i will do just that.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by hobolabo; 01-25-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing that you would need is the product datasheet on the paint that you're using. The data sheet has mixing directions, dry times, recoat times. You can find them online. When you mix acrylic urethane's and such use exact measurements.Stir the A part first thoroughly add the hardener and solvent and stir thoroughly again. Multiple thin coats is better than pumping a gallon one-shot getting runs and sags everywhere. When you spray, spray only in one direction until you get the hang of it. Practice will make perfect. If you're going over other paints spot test it first for lifting. Use two different color primers, one over the other for a perfect panel Always use metal prep on bare steel before you prime Make sure that the gun Cup is tight. Having a full quart paint over your feet sucks. Anyway be sure to wear some kind of respirator. Wear gloves and paint in a well ventilated area. Good luck with your project I'm sure you'll do a good job
Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobolabo, have you painted your rig yet?