Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

Transmission confusion!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission confusion!!

I am working on a 1996 F-150 4 wheel dr, manual transmission.I neglected to put the truck in neutral before disassembling the shifter mechanism.The top trans cover was removed as well , but is currently back on.I have tried and tried to put truck into neutral with a screwdriver lining up the gates. I can move the shifter 3 slots ( up and down)but none is neutral.I cannot move from side to side at all. When the cover was replaced could something have been not lined up correctly thus keeping me from being able to find neutral. The cover went on fairly easily with no apparent problems , but it was done pretty much blind.Please any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of an old post, but you very well could need work done on the shifter tower. Pretty common problem, can probably get it rebuilt for less than $200 if you take it to a transmission shop (assuming you bring them the transmission or shifter tower).

Quick Reply: Transmission confusion!!