Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

Small mishap with USB module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small mishap with USB module replacement

Hello. I have a 2016 F150 XLT. I recently purchased the USB module to upgrade for carplay. The install was very straight forward and not at all a problem, that is until a certain small child climbed in the cab when i ran inside to get my phone to plug in and test that the connection was fine. When I cam outside, there was my son with unit in his hand walking into the garage. He had grabbed the part i "forgot to bing" with me. Luckily the USB connector was fine. The problem i have is that the 2 wires for the power came out of the white connector that plugs into the unit. I was able to fish the wire back out of its hiding place, only to realize that there is not very much length in the wire, nor do I know which wire goes into which hole in the power adapter. I have a 3 part question:

1. which wire goes to which position in the connector?
2. is there a trick to getting the wires back into the connector and secured in place?
3. Is there an "easy" way to extend the wires so that should anything like this happen again, there is some extra length in the wires?

I appreciate any help here, as I would really like to avoid going to my dealer and paying an insane hourly rate for them to simply put two wires into a plastic connector.

Thank you for any help that can be provided.....