Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

Rusted hole in frame. Fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rusted hole in frame. Fixable?

I bought a 1990 Ford F-150 with a 302 V8 4x4 single cab/8ft bed. When I was looking at it, it looked great. I checked out the frame for rust but it's in great condition with small dots of surface rust. But on the front passenger side of the frame has a decent sized rust hole. I think it was cracked then was let sitting and the rust ate away at it. This truck was used in the Lehigh Valley, PA area. I did buy the truck because my dad said he thinks it's repairable. I'm having doubts though, since is my money. I paid $700 for it. I'll post all the pics I have for it here: http://imgur.com/a/XqDb9 I'm worried it can't be repaired. I only want to spend $200 MAX. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Right now the truck is at my neighbors for him to look at. He's a trained Ford mechanic and a trucker. He's very knowledgeable but I also want a second opinion. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I don't think you can pull a price out of the air and figure somebody will fix it for that. It is fixable, but you will need to get some estimates and then decide if you want to spend that amount or not. That's the way these things work.
If it's in the hands of a mechanic, it would be a good idea to have the whole truck checked to see what maintenance and repairs it needs and add that to the cost of the frame repair to see if you want to spend that much overall on the truck before you get anything done.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thick plate steel, industrial bolts and nuts, and welding.

Quick Reply: Rusted hole in frame. Fixable?