Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

How to reinforce frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to reinforce frame

Looking to reinforce the frame and steering gear box up on my 96 ext cab long bed truck with lift. Mostly looking to reinforce the steering sense it seems to be a common problem with lifted 1/2 ton trucks. What's a good way too do this or is there a kit for it? Eventually plan on Dana 60 swap and long time from now hydraulic steering.

Trucks used for mud bogs. Thanks in advice
Old 04-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That section of the frame around the steering box mounts is already reinforced pretty well, however if it's able to move problems start happening pretty fast.
There was a Ford recommendation to replace the rivets to the engine crossmember with grade 8 bolts, especially the top 2 on the driver's side.
A really important thing is to make sure all the crossmembers are solidly attached because once you remove one or two the frame rails can really flex a lot.
I think the biggest problem that happens is that the forward cross pieces and the bumper mounts get removed or modified or just aren't tight which allows the steering box (and spring towers) to twist the section of frame forward of the engine c/member and eventually it starts to crack.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have the rivets in the crossmember and original bumper but have the body lift brackets too rasie the bumper up. Heard too just weld a bar going for one side too the other.

Quick Reply: How to reinforce frame