Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

brake line question???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake line question???

so this is a brake line question about the brake line that comes from the inner frame to the rear axle before the split to both wheels. i was taking my truck bed off today and i didn't get all the carriage bolts out so i put the grinder on them and one of the bolts hit a very rusted piece of brake line in the frame causing a pin size hole. my brakes are leaking really bad it has emptied my reservoir. first off what is the size of the brake line, i googled it and everywhere is showing brake lines that go to calipers or to the rear wheels. not what i'm looking for, i'm looking for the brake line that runs through the truck frame. and second off can i just cut the brake line and customize it with a piece of rubber hose and clamps. that seems logical but my concern is that the brake line is so small i can't get a clamp tight around it. 92 f150 4x4 xlt 5.0 with dual tanks. thanks everybody.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

No rubber, brake fluid will eat it up and it probably would never seal either. The line is the same diameter as the rear brakes, most auto parts store sell brake line that you will have to bend(recommend a tubing bender) so measure that line from one end to the other for length. Soak both ends of the old line in some type of solvent and use a line wrench to remove because they stripe very easy. PM me if oyu need help with bleeding procedures.

Quick Reply: brake line question???