Topic Sponsor

Weak starting situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak starting situation

Hello,

First post on the site! I recently purchased my 95 F150 with a 5.0 and the M50D. When I was driving it home the alternator decided to quit. At 123000 miles, I figured that it was due time. I replaced the alternator and the truck was fine. The first problem I experienced was when I drove my truck out to the store and the battery died over the course of 10 min. I bump started the truck and drove straight to get a new battery. The next chapter of this story started a couple days later when my fuel pump over heated on me in Phoenix (110 degree weather) I killed the battery trying to get off of the freeway off ramp. I let the pump cool down at a gas station for 20 minutes and put the older battery back on. Luckily it still had enough juice to get me started. So with all that out of the way....

The truck is charging fine with a new alternator and a new battery. Both tested out fine. The truck is starting super weak, it barely engages the starter and sometimes grinds the flywheel. The kicker is that I can drive the truck for 3 hours and think the battery would be charged, yet I can turn the truck off and immediately try to restart the truck and it has a weak start. Even the battery shows a weak charge and the battery light is on.

What is goin on?

Things I have tried. I had the alternator, battery, and starter tested at Pep boys. They all tested fine. I replaced the starter solenoid, cleaned the positive cable connections, checked the ground at the block, checked the ground for the sound system, and unplugged the offroad lights that came on the truck. Time is not a factor, I can leave the truck for 5 minutes after driving or leave it for a week and it starts weak either way.

Sorry for the novel, but I figured I would give you guys all the information.

-Morgan
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Morgan ... Welcome to the forum !

I read the post through about three or four times. You might be out of your depth with this one.

Take the truck into the shop of a seasoned mechanic who's been working in the trade for over twenty years. Have him look it all over. He's going to know things that the beginner or intermediate mechanic wouldn't even suspect.

This would be the most expedient way of getting to the source of the problem.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks!

I know someone I can take it to. We will see.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 PM

The wire from the alt to the start solenoid can sometimes fail internally, so that no charging juice gets to the battery. Also the engine to chassis ground straps all need to be on.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Found the problem, I was tracing the positive battery cables to have them replaced and got to the starter. The positive cable had a good connection but a small wire leading to the starter was loose. I pulled it off the connector and cleaned it, pressed it back on... What do you know, back in business.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

put in the thickest gauge copper cables you can afford...you will not be sorry.Your charging system will last twice as long and your battery will not have to send power through those ridiculously thin stock cables...
The following users liked this post:
Hooter95 (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by southernyankey1
put in the thickest gauge copper cables you can afford...you will not be sorry.Your charging system will last twice as long and your battery will not have to send power through those ridiculously thin stock cables...

I do not know what the smaller wire was for, but it is the problem with the weak starting. While driving after I fixed it it became loose again and caused it to act up again. I think I will just cut and splice a new connector on the end to keep it tight.

+1 on the bigger cables when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Weak starting situation