Topic Sponsor

Warning Lights/Instrument Cluster not working

Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warning Lights/Instrument Cluster not working

Hi there.
I'm new to the forum, been lurking in the background until now, and this is my first real post, so apologies ahead of time if I've messed up somewhere!

Last month I picked up a new-to-me 1995 F150 XL 2wd with the 4.9l Starts, runs and drives just fine, and only has minor issues with the biggest being this problem: My guages wander around and do whatever they please and none of my warning lights work. The bulbs are all good, and I know thees lights should light up when you have the key turned to ON briefly before you start the engine. After starting the engine, I get the 5 Beeps, 5 times problem, telling me that the Airbag warning light is out, even though I know the bulb is good. The battery Light comes on before starting, even though the battery is good. Seatbelt, ABS, Check Engine Emergency Brake, OverDrive lights all never have come on.

Here is a video of my problem:

http://vid1355.photobucket.com/album...psbgwrhdq2.mp4

Right Now I'm thinking possibly a bad ground in the cluster harness, or possibly someone swapped out the cluster from a different year and didn't make the nessesary wiring changes. Any thoughts?

-John
Old 11-13-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If you think it's the cluster pull it out. The plastic circuit board on the back will have a part number. The first 2 digits will tell you the year it was made - F4te, F5te (94, 95). If it starts with F2 or F3 it's wrong. F4 or F5 will both work in a 95.
Jury's still out on a F6 in a 95, but some have had success.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tip, I didn't know how to read the serial numbers, thanks!

-John

Search this Thread