Topic Sponsor

truck wont start after it is warmed up.HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation truck wont start after it is warmed up.HELP PLEASE!!

I have a 1996 300 L6. I woke up started it and drove it to work, it sat at work for 8 hours started back up no problem. I get home go to start the truck again after a couple of minuites of sitting and it wont start.... it wont start when its warmed up. replaced the coil. realized the coil is leaking oil, ill change that out again tomorrow. I just got the modual tested 4 times all four times it reads back good lol...... ruled out a fuel problem, i know its not the starter, Maybe the pick-up coil? i need help guys i am about to just push the truck into the river
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

If you have fuel and you have spark it should start. Often when a truck turns over but won't start it is the crank or cam sensor because if the computer does not get a reading from them, there will be no spark. I cannot understand how the engine being hot would would cause them to not work unless you have a bad connection and somehow the heat kills the connection. Do you have any codes? Perhaps also you EGR valve is sticking when the engine gets warm. You could try cleaning it.

You say the fuel is OK and I trust you have changed the fuel filter recently. When it is hot, you might attach a timing light to a plug wire and see if you are getting spark when you turn it over. If no spark, check and clean as necessary ground connections and clean the connection at your crank and cam sensors. You could also try cleaning the MAF and air inlet and change your air filter.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

What color is the spark? I bet it is because the coil is cracked.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 AM

I just replaced the fuel filter, air filter, coil and I am putting a new pick-up coil in it on Friday. I have spark but the spark is orange which indicates a weak spark, I am going to take my new coil off because I just noticed after 15 min of driving it is leaking fluid. Any thoughts if that could be the problem? Thanks for the replies also I really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Ford Owner

I am a little confused. Have you changed your coil since you noticed the problem? Your coil should not be leaking fluid. Is this the second coil that you have found to be leaking fluid? My drawings show the electrical wires that go to your coil come directly from the PCM with no electrical components in between that might be damaged and would cause your coil to go bad within a short period of time.

Last edited by Frank_Ford; 04-23-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Yeah this is the second coil that has gone bad. soon to put the 3rd coil put in today.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Do you have a after market icm? Seems like your coil is getting hot and cracking.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM

its the stock icm and i just had that tested yesterday 4 different times and it checked out good.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Ford Owner

Is there any damage to the wires or the plug that plugs into the coil? The coil works from current running through it and building a magnetic field. The circuit is opened, the magnetic field collapses, and generates a high voltage current to the plug wires. This is not a for sure but perhaps you are not getting a good connection in the wiring or the wiring is shorting out against a ground and messing up the current flow. It would be worth a try and wouldn't cost much to inspect the wiring for broken insulation and check the connectors in the plug. Put some di-electric grease in the plug to make sure you are getting a good connection at the coil. Also check the plug wires to see any evidence of arching where they connect to the coil.

Quick Reply: truck wont start after it is warmed up.HELP PLEASE!!