Topic Sponsor

Starter Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM
I

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Starter Solenoid

Well here's my issue. A while back I started up my truck. It made a noise so I shut it off. The truck kept turning over with the key off and out of the ignition. So I threw open the hood and yanked the negative battery cable. I replaced the starter solenoid with the one that was on the truck. (The previous owner replaced it and I had the original one) This fixed the issue and it never did that again. Then a few days ago I replaced the solenoid with a new one so I knew I would have a good one and a good backup. Now the past couple of days it has been doing it again. Not every time I start it, but a couple of times I started it the starter remained turning over. So I raised the hood pulled the cable pecked the solenoid with my wrench hooked the cable back up and started it up and it worked fine. Is it possible I have bought a bad solenoid? Its a BWD from Oreilly's. Could anything else cause this issue? Thanks for reading.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are calling the relay on the firewall near the battery a solenoid, then yes it is possible you bought a bad one. Not uncommon for parts that are made of plastic and from places unknown. If its the solenoid on the starter, I think it would be less likely. But to me it sounds like the ignition switch on the column. When they go bad, all sorts of things could happen. From not doing anything to not shutting off. If I'm not mistaken, if your truck is a '90, you have to drop the column and its mounted on top of it about 6" down from the key. It could have loose bolts and the rod is pushing the whole switch around, but probably the switch itself.

Last edited by memoniz; 02-21-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM
I

I'm hoping I bought a bad relay. The other one didn't do this so im thinking it is.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM
I

Yeah my truck is a '90 and my friend changed the steering column out on his '88 so he could help me, what all needs to be unhooked to drop the column.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

The lower part of the dash and that will access the bolts that hold the column.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM
I

So the ***** for the windshield wiper/washer and headlights have to be removed, then pop off the dash panels to the sides and under the column. Then remove shroud on column and unbolt the two bolts drop the column and there is the switch.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I

Got that ignition switch changed. It was pretty easy. The starter hasn't stuck on again but only time will tell. When I got it apart I found that the switch wiring was plugged in crooked and one of the clips on the plug was broken. I plugged it in straight and put a zip tie on it to hold it in. Works good. Here's a pic of when I had it all took apart

Starter Solenoid-forumrunner_20140224_191558.jpg

Quick Reply: Starter Solenoid