Topic Sponsor

Starter issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issues?

Hey Y'all!

My truck is a 96 F150 XLT with the 5.8. So for some time (6-12 months) I have had a starting issue. Turn the key and nothing (literally just one click from the engine bay). Then Give it another try or two and it would usually turn over. Went from occasional to consistent. However, in the last month or so, no amount of turning the key will start the truck, neither will putting it in neutral, and then turning the key. The starter is about 2-3 years old (whats the lifetime for a starter again?), and the starter solenoid is only about 2 months old. When I replaced the solenoid, I think it worked the first time, but then it stopped turning over again. So, I have been starting the truck with a screw driver. You know, crossing the two big terminals. Even hooked up a switch inside the cab so that I don't have to be seen in public starting my truck with a screwdriver. LOL Yet, today, I went to start the truck. (Normally, for the past month, the key has to be turned to the on position, and then flip the switch which crosses the terminals on the starter.) But this time, all I had was a single click. Three times in a row. Had to get out and try the screwdriver, and still just a click even after directly crossing the terminals on the solenoid. After about three or four times, it started.

Does anyone know what my issue is? Starter? Solenoid? Both? I am getting a bit tired of the issue, and need to fix it with surgery, not a band-aid. lol

Thanks for ANY help in advance!!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sjh1996f150
Hey Y'all!

My truck is a 96 F150 XLT with the 5.8. So for some time (6-12 months) I have had a starting issue. Turn the key and nothing (literally just one click from the engine bay). Then Give it another try or two and it would usually turn over. Went from occasional to consistent. However, in the last month or so, no amount of turning the key will start the truck, neither will putting it in neutral, and then turning the key. The starter is about 2-3 years old (whats the lifetime for a starter again?), and the starter solenoid is only about 2 months old. When I replaced the solenoid, I think it worked the first time, but then it stopped turning over again. So, I have been starting the truck with a screw driver. You know, crossing the two big terminals. Even hooked up a switch inside the cab so that I don't have to be seen in public starting my truck with a screwdriver. LOL Yet, today, I went to start the truck. (Normally, for the past month, the key has to be turned to the on position, and then flip the switch which crosses the terminals on the starter.) But this time, all I had was a single click. Three times in a row. Had to get out and try the screwdriver, and still just a click even after directly crossing the terminals on the solenoid. After about three or four times, it started.

Does anyone know what my issue is? Starter? Solenoid? Both? I am getting a bit tired of the issue, and need to fix it with surgery, not a band-aid. lol

Thanks for ANY help in advance!!
Ok so I once had the problem where I could turn the key to the on position, off position, accessory, but no matter how far forward I turned it, the engine wouldn’t turn over. It turned out to be the actuator arm, which is this little piece you have to remove the steering wheel and disassemble just about the whole steering column to get to. I mean from what you are saying, it doesn’t sound like the same problem I had, but it could be worth looking into.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing Shagg! I'll have to look into that, and maybe that is the issue. I was also wondering if the issue is related to a problem in the column, as I don't believe that the starter or even the solenoid is bad. The starter turns over and starts strong, so it isn't seized, not engaging, etc.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I also have had issues with the ignition switch just not being nudged far enough with the rod. I haven't looked at the '96 to see how it is put together, but the '87 has had that issue off and on the whole time I've owned it. Since it is an occasional use truck, I haven't been motivated to do a proper repair. On the older ones the switch was on slotted screws, and pushing it up toward the key and re-tightening the screws at least makes it livable.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Step one is to check ALL the heavy terminals between the battery & starter. Click this & read all the captions:

(phone app link)

The pre-'92 column is VERY different.

Quick Reply: Starter issues?