Topic Sponsor

Power Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Issues

Hey guys, I'm having some problems and I cant seem to figure it out. I've got a 91 F150 XLT Lariat, 5.0 and E4OD. Over the last week or two, I've noticed that my voltage when the engine is running has been low, about 10 volts. The battery is a brand new Optima Red, I have new cables on the battery, starter, solenoid and trigger.

Also, I have blown 3 headlight bulbs, a running light bulb within the Same time period. Shattered in the housing.

This morning, I went to start the truck, and at the KO position, everything works. Once I actually start the truck, I lose power to radio, door locks, windows, lighter, and my rear Antilock light comes on.

But now I have, or am reading the proper voltage. If i turn the truck off, it has all power, until I actually turn it over.

Has anyone had any issues similar to this, and does anyone have an idea on what it may be?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Sounds like you might have installed some new cables wrong. Post several good pics of the battery, starter relay, alternator, etc.
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 PM

See, that's what I thought at first, and went back and double checked all the wiring and connections to make sure they were run correctly and had good, solid connections. Everything was correct and had a solid connection. What makes it so weird, is that I still have cluster lighting, A/C, headlights, and dome lights. I'm wanting to think there is something wrong with the lock cylinder, since the power interrupt comes only when I turn the ignition to start the truck. Just my opinion, and I plan on doing some testing once I get the chance to pull the wheel and look at the steering column electrical.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM

So I figured it out last night, finally. It was the lock cylinder, and wiring behind it. I noticed that if I keep the key rolled forward, i would keep all power. So i pulled the wheel and saw the problem. One of the tabs on the wires had come loose and was being pinched. So this gives me the excuse I needed to put in an ignition panel, lol.

Quick Reply: Power Issues