Topic Sponsor

Oil Guage

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Guage

On my 95, my oil pressure switch, sometimes it works and sometime it pins itself all the way to the right. I am not sure if I have a real problem or if I just have a faulty part...but which one?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could try to change the sending unit they do go bad. Im about to do mine this weekend
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by kiriusjj
Could try to change the sending unit they do go bad. Im about to do mine this weekend
How hard or easy is it? Do I need to drain my oil?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont think you need to drain your oil. I think the 5.8 and 5.0 have the same oil pressure switch location. I just changed mine with it full of oil.

You can just start unscrewing it and hope for the best! if oil leaks screw it back in until your ready to change your oil
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by stangbang94
Dont think you need to drain your oil. I think the 5.8 and 5.0 have the same oil pressure switch location. I just changed mine with it full of oil.

You can just start unscrewing it and hope for the best! if oil leaks screw it back in until your ready to change your oil
I need to change my oil so I'll do both this weekend
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Right on, hope your motors not messed up and its just the sensor.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Right on, hope your motors not messed up and its just the sensor.
Motor messed up? I don't notice or feel any issues with performance. Would I?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Maybe, maybe not. When my oil pressure gauge started reading low I took it off and put a mechanical gauge on. It read under 5 psi at idle. I knew at that point I should start shopping for a new engine.

In your case for high oil pressure, not really sure what to look for. Do some Google searches, I know it has to do with a blockage. Thats if your sensor is reading true which it might not be.

Safest thing to do is to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on which I have on both my vehicles.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Maybe, maybe not. When my oil pressure gauge started reading low I took it off and put a mechanical gauge on. It read under 5 psi at idle. I knew at that point I should start shopping for a new engine.

In your case for high oil pressure, not really sure what to look for. Do some Google searches, I know it has to do with a blockage. Thats if your sensor is reading true which it might not be.

Safest thing to do is to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on which I have on both my vehicles.

Cool...I will investigate a mechanical one. What is the normal PSI of a 5.8l motor? Are there any guage suggestions or are they all the same?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Cool...I will investigate a mechanical one. What is the normal PSI of a 5.8l motor? Are there any guage suggestions or are they all the same?
I honestly don't know what the oil pressure is supposed to be on your motor. I can tell you what it is on the 1994 5.0 in my mustang tho. I run a 5w-40 full synthetic oil and cold starts are in the neighbourhood of 70 PSI, hot idle never goes below 25 ish psi and cruising is around 30-40 depending on oil temp.

Gauge selection depends on what you want. If you want a full time mechanical gauge in your truck autometer makes some nice reliable stuff check them out. A little bit pricey and you may be able to find similar quality from another company. You could buy a cheap oil pressure gauge from princess auto and just use it to measure your pressure in the engine compartment, when your done with it take it off and put your stock one back on.

Quick Reply: Oil Guage