Topic Sponsor

Mass air EFI swap help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air EFI swap help

Ok folks, I have a 1990 Bronco (yes I know, I'm on a f-series forum in a bronco haha) with a 351 and E4od. i recently acquired a full engine bay harness (both eec and body wiring) from a 1995 Bronco with a 5.0 and E4od with the intentions of stripping my donor harness down so I have just the fuel injection and ignition harness to swap to mass air and also move my tfi module in one shot.

Im not worried about the tfi stuff, I already have the distributor from another build so moving it is as simple as drilling two holes and buying a Motorcraft replacement module.

I've tried searching for a mass air swap thread on here and other forums and haven't found a straight forward swap thread or write up, so before I get elbows deep into this project I would like to know what problems you folks have run into, as well as anything I may have missed.

My current parts list for the MAF includes the following, all from the same donor vehicle:
Donor harness
EEC-IV computer (for 5.0, would I need a 5.8 computer?)
Air intake tube with 2-1 collector, and box.
MAF sensor
I know I'll need atleast one more O2 sensor and an exhaust bung.

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The 95 system SHOULD only use one O2 sensor. Bronco may be different but F150 didn't use multiple sensors until 96 (OBD2).
The 351 and the 95 302 (94 up) use the same firing order so that parts ok and the PCM should compensate for the bigger engine.
The 95 PCM used input from the PSOM though and I would think you have a cable driven speedo so that may be an issue.
Also, even though both transmissions are E4OD, there were a lot of changes to them between 90 and 95, you might want to do some research into whether a 95 PCM will run a 90 E4OD.
That's all the major stuff that comes to mind.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, not sure that it would make any difference but my E4OD is actually from a 93 f250. As for the PSOM I believe someone sells them for use in older mustangs with newer power trains or something along those lines, I'll have to do my research, but if that is an issue I can resort to that.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

So that transmission is normally controlled by the PCM which gets info from the electronic speedo (PSOM) (which gets info from the VSS, RABS and cruise control if equipped) which tells it when to shift.
The 90 speedo should be cable driven but the 93 trans wouldn't have the port for a cable.
There's a work around for everything of course but it's going to take some figuring out I would think.
All that may possibly be a consideration.