Topic Sponsor

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
jat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

i have 1989 f 150 cant get it to start by the key put a new switch on the column would like to know how to take the clutch safety out of the equation all the run lights come on nothing happens when turned to start position have to jump it at the celenoid or maybe how to wire in a push button start
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My trucks switch got so hard to turn that nobody could crank it except me and my dad haha. I wired in a push button start. To wire a push button start you run one wire from the positive of your battery to one side of the push button switch, and also do the same from the positive side of the solenoid. Then after you do this, you'll have to turn the key to crank it, and it's also cool to hide the switch so your vehicle cannot get stolen . Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Does the key switch turn? If so there is a rod that goes down through the column that actuates the actual start switch at the base of the column. I have read there is and adjustment on the start switch which fixes alot of these problems when adjusted.

The clutch safety switch does three things .. allows the start circuit to be energized. Signals the cruise control and signals the PCM. It can be bypassed very carefully. Most guys wouldn't recommend to do so. I wouldn't either especially of that's not your problem.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

The switch should be at the top of the clutch foot lever, you can use a jumper wire to bypass the switch for testing but I would not want to leave it that way for safety reasons.