Topic Sponsor

Good Bat Good Starter No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Bat Good Starter No Start

Sorry, I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I can't find it.

96 has not been starting. Can comp start fine and do live in WV so no trouble finding a hill to park on but I'd like to fix it! When I turn the key the relay clicks but nothing from starter. I pulled starter to test before buying new and bench tested. Starter is good. Battery is good too. I'm thinking wiring now but not sure how to isolate, sorry electrical is not my strong suit.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If the relay is clicking then get a test light and make sure that power is actually getting to the other post when you turn the key. If it is, then get underneath and check for power on the other end of that cable at the starter.
The following users liked this post:
NamedAfterAnEngine (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!

1) Inspect the positive cable between the battery and the solenoid. Had one instance on a Jeep with a similar starting problem, where corrosion wasn't visible until the insulation was peeled back a bit from the positive post - cable was almost corroded through.
2) Use a regular screwdriver or other similar stout metal bar/blade, and short directly across the main solenoid posts. Recommend eye protection and gloves. If the starting behavior changes, suggest the contacts/coil of the solenoid are bad, not able to handle the amperage demand.
3) Ensure the ground cable from the block to the battery is in good shape. Most troubleshooting tends to be on the power side, overlooking the important of the return 'ground' leg for good current flow.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have the same issue. I know 100% its the stupid terminal clamps the PO installed. My problem is he cut all the battery cables so short that I don't have any slack. I wanted to strip the battery and starter cables so I have good wire then crimp lugs onto each cable and bolt them to new clamps. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy new battery cables? No one seems to be able to get them. Thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jankog
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have the same issue. I know 100% its the stupid terminal clamps the PO installed. My problem is he cut all the battery cables so short that I don't have any slack. I wanted to strip the battery and starter cables so I have good wire then crimp lugs onto each cable and bolt them to new clamps. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy new battery cables? No one seems to be able to get them. Thanks
Here's a page from LMC Truck. Your cable should be listed there.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=147
Old 10-17-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crownman

Here's a page from LMC Truck. Your cable should be listed there.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=147
Thank you very much. I stopped at AutoZone today but they just have generic cables. I'm not sure I want to go that route. Trying to make this the first vehicle I own that I fix right. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Good Bat Good Starter No Start