Topic Sponsor

EEC-IV not communicating

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EEC-IV not communicating

Last week I took my 87 f150 5.0L to the shop because the engine was miss-firing, periodically would not start, and would never idle consistently. The mechanic checked firing at the distributor and then proceeded to check the codes at the test connector. Unfortunately, his snap-on obd1 scanner could not read anything. He told me that the ECA was bad, so I ordered a replacement even though the old one showed no signs of failure. After installation I discovered that It also doesn’t produce any light flashes when I jump SIG RTN to STI and hook my test light from positive battery and STO.

I then proceeded to test that the ECA was getting power at Pin #1 and that Pin #20, #40 and #60 were grounded. All tested OK. I then checked continuity from the ECA to the C171 Self Test and C168 VIP Test connectors: Pin#17 to STO, Pin #22 to slot #6 on VIP Connector, Pin #46 to SIG RTN, and Pin 48 to STI. All tested fine.

Shouldn’t the ECA work if it’s getting power and is grounded. Can upstream failures at the sensors/solenoids/relays cause it not to throw codes?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance you can provide.

Vic

Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 PM

Fixed by installing new capacitors on old board. System checked out ok. Found a vacuum leak at EGR and replaced the unit. Also used the penny trick to block exhaust gas. Runs great.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:24 PM

did the new ECA fix the problem or did you not install it?
Old 12-12-2020, 08:25 PM

By the way what is the penny trick?

Quick Reply: EEC-IV not communicating