Topic Sponsor

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

Hi, I have a 96 with inline 6. I need to fix or replace the alternator. I am concerned the steel bolts will not come loose from the aluminum bracket. Any suggestions? Already got liquid wrench on it. Has anyone tried replacing the brushes while still installed? I think my bearings are ok but it is not charging after it warms up.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That's a really common problem. Start hunting for another bracket before you snap the bolts, just in case. You might be able to swap the brush pack in place (but sooner or later the bearings will go, so...).
Old 07-29-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to do my alternator. When I did, the bolt holdING the alternator in came loose pretty quick but it was all corroded inside where the bolt goes through the alternator. I ended up have to wedget something between the bracket and the alternator just so I could break the shell of the alternator. Then I cut the rest out with an angle grinder. Kinda Frankenstein but it got it out. Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't. I put a larger alternator in so I had to bolt it up to the other bolt hole but your alternator bracket has the holes for both.

Not sure but could that problem be an inline fuse?

Quick Reply: Alternator