Topic Sponsor

95 F150 Rear Tank Guage Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 F150 Rear Tank Guage Problem!

Hey guys, so I spent almost all day reading many different forums on my problem with my 1995 F150. Ever since I bought the truck ( about a year ago) The rear tank pumps gas fine, but the gauge doesn't read. It is pegged way past full. But I do recall for a short instant like a week or two the guage actually read! but then one day it shot past full again. Tonight I bought a new selector switch on the dash, but it did nothing. without dropping the tank I tried to trace the wires to the ground ( after reading on other forums that that is the most common problem) but I only found some weird connections on the driver side inner fender that went no where. Im planning on dropping the tank this weekend and hoping making this post could help me prepare for what I need to look for this weekend if anyone could help. My biggest question is where does the sending unit ground to on the rear tank? ive already cleaned up the ground by the radiator (but my front tank guage reads, but doesn't send). Anyones imput would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There's also another ground on the fender beside the battery. Worth checking.
I believe the ground wire from the pump and sender will probably be black, but you can check a diagram. The harness will be above the rear diff coming off the front center of the rear tank with a plug in connection. Should be able to use a tester at that plug to see if the ground wire has continuity to ground.