Topic Sponsor

91 F150 will not start from the ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 F150 will not start from the ignition switch

My 91 f150 runs great but will not start from the the ignition switch. The switch will turn on the radio and dash and turn on the fuel pump but when I go to start the truck nothing happens.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

We need to see the truck's details & history in your signature. Pics would help. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

Is it a tilt column? They're difficult to spot, so don't assume it's not just because you've never tilted it. Look at the hole where the blinker stalk screws in - is it this shape [] or more like this <] ?

How long has it been like this? Did it happen suddenly or slowly? How are you starting it when the problem appears? How are you turning it off? Does the key feel like it always has, or did its feel change? When you turn it to the START position, do the dash & radio turn off? Do you hear any clicks under the hood?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Suggest to get a voltmeter and a friend, and verify that the 12V signal to the relay on the fender behind the battery is present when the key is rolled to start. If so, suspect a bad relay. If not, might have a look at the ignition switch and linkage on the steering column. The ignition switch is on top of the steering column about above the brake pedal.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem with my truck, and after replacing the lock cylinder and gear behind it, came to find out I had a bad solenoid. But i would definitely say check solenoid first, they run about 14 bucks where I live, so hopefully it's a cheap fix for you bud.

Quick Reply: 91 F150 will not start from the ignition switch