Topic Sponsor

91 F150 Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 F150 Battery Drain Issue

Hello everyone!
I have a 1991 F150 V6,single gas tank. 2WD.
One day I left my headlights on and battery died. I jumped it drove it home but did not drive again for couple days and it was dead again. It was almost 4 years old so I got a brand new battery Group 65.
I drove to work came back home, parked and now it's dead again. When I turn the key some lights turn on but when I start it it just dims and clicks. I'm sure I did not leave headlights on again.
What should I check for?
Additionally I have a fuel leak from gas tank, I did partially cover it with JB Weld and it seemed to work but I was wondering maybe fuel pump or fuel pump relay causing issues with battery?

* I drive my truck couple times a week only, I mainly bought it for hauling stuff to dump and home depot. Not a daily driver or show car, looking for most practical and economical solution. Thanks in advance!
*I searched this group before posting this and some threads were 10+years old, not very related. Just wanted to see if there's another person with similar experience and how they solved it.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:34 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferdinand7090
I have a 1991 F150 V6,single gas tank. 2WD.
That's not much info, and there was no V6 available in '91. The 6-cyl 4.9L is an inline 6 (I6); not a V engine. You should put ALL the truck's details & history (as much as you know) into your signature so it shows with each post, as this page explains:

(click this text)

Phone apps don't always show signatures, so you may need to switch to a real browser in desktop mode on your phone, or just use a desktop/laptop computer. Put your location (nearest city) in your profile & upload an avatar of the truck. The more pics you post (NOT in your sig) of the truck, engine, wiring, labels, & undercarriage, the more likely we can help you. Not all its details are relevant to these issues, but you don't necessarily know which ones are relevant, so just put everything in now.
One day I left my headlights on and battery died.
Repairing the chime would help prevent that in the future.
I jumped it drove it home...
Jump-starting a vehicle with a dead battery is VERY hard on the battery, the alternator, & some of the vehicle's electronics. It should only be done in emergency. It's much better to jump-CHARGE the dead battery (for a half hour or more) before starting or driving it.
...it was dead again.
Not surprising since the alternator needs a good battery to charge the battery.
...I got a brand new battery Group 65.
What brand, PN, & source? Did you clean the terminals?
...it's dead again. When I turn the key some lights turn on but when I start it it just dims and clicks. ... What should I check for?
Dirty terminals. Read ALL of this page:

(click this text)
Additionally I have a fuel leak from gas tank, I did partially cover it with JB Weld and it seemed to work...
You're risking your life, everyone else's who drives near you, and everyone's property that you park it near on "seems". You should FIND the actual leak source, and repair it properly, or replace the leaking part(s). Study this page:

(click this text)
...fuel pump relay causing issues with battery?
Not likely, unless you can hear the pump running when the key is off. It would be a quiet whine from the selected tank, audible through the filler neck.
...most practical and economical solution.
Diagnosis (NOT gue$$ing), repair using the best parts available, followed by normal scheduled maintenance. Read this page & the NEXT:

(click this text)
Just wanted to see if there's another person with similar experience and how they solved it.
Thousands of people have had cranking problems. Some of them solved their particular problems by finding the actual root causes, and then repairing them. But most just throw part$ at it guessing, until they run out of money & patience. None of them can help you find the problems on YOUR truck because none of them is there looking at your truck - only you are, so focus on it; not theirs.

Quick Reply: 91 F150 Battery Drain Issue