Topic Sponsor

89 Ford F-150 no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Ford F-150 no power

My 89 F-150 had been sitting for about 2 months without starting it. Battery was dead. Jumped it off with my 2004 E-150 Van. Took a little bit of effort but then it started right up. Took it for spin around the block and ran fine, Returned home, turned off the truck. Tried to started it again and the starter relay just clicked. Battery was bad, So got a new battery. Turn the switch and it fired right up ran for like 15 seconds then shut off. Tried to start it again and nothing. No power, no nothing. Got my volt meter out. 12 volts on the battery. Made sure to clean the battery post and cable connectors. Checked the starter relay post where the positive cable connects. 12 volts there. So I know power is to the replay. Check starter side of the starter relay and it also should 12 volts. Is that correct? Should there be any power on that side at all until you try to start it? Plan on replacing the starter relay. I will check main fuses to. Trying to avoid hauling to the Ford place for service. Any thoughts to what else it could be and to check other than the starter relay?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
www.diyautoelectric.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billsf15089
My 89 F-150 had been sitting for about 2 months without starting it. Battery was dead. Jumped it off with my 2004 E-150 Van. Took a little bit of effort but then it started right up. Took it for spin around the block and ran fine, Returned home, turned off the truck. Tried to started it again and the starter relay just clicked. Battery was bad, So got a new battery. Turn the switch and it fired right up ran for like 15 seconds then shut off. Tried to start it again and nothing. No power, no nothing. Got my volt meter out. 12 volts on the battery. Made sure to clean the battery post and cable connectors. Checked the starter relay post where the positive cable connects. 12 volts there. So I know power is to the replay. Check starter side of the starter relay and it also should 12 volts. Is that correct? Should there be any power on that side at all until you try to start it? Plan on replacing the starter relay. I will check main fuses to. Trying to avoid hauling to the Ford place for service. Any thoughts to what else it could be and to check other than the starter relay?
It will have 12v when you turn the key , you can jump 12 from the battery side to the small wire and that should engage the starter.
The key gives power to the small wire which switches the solenoid.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
www.diyautoelectric.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it isn't getting the correct voltage , does the key feel normal ? The linkage in the steering column breaks sometimes.

These are kina fun to replace
http://astore.amazon.com/diyautoelec...ail/B000COCXR2
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The voltage I noted was with the key off. 12 volts on both sides of the starter relay with the key off. It's like the starter relay is stuck. Replaced the steering linage stuff some years back and all that works great. Have not had a chance to replace the starter relay but will start their first. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by diyautoelectric
If it isn't getting the correct voltage , does the key feel normal ? The linkage in the steering column breaks sometimes.

These are kina fun to replace
http://astore.amazon.com/diyautoelec...ail/B000COCXR2
Ah now i think I had that happen, had to take a cover off my steering Column and push on a rod to start my truck.

Quick Reply: 89 Ford F-150 no power