Topic Sponsor

558 code confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Forestina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 558 code confusion

1995 F150 v8 5.0 2wd
Check engine light on, went to O'Reilly's and their OCDB (?) reader showed code 558 - distributor coil pack circuit failure.
An online source and research says 558 - electric circuit of (EVR) electronic vacuum regulator.

O'Reilly sold me a $25 coil pack. Before I exchange it I am going to check/ clean contacts and also look at vacuum lines....
But seriously, which issue is this?

TIA
Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Forestina

Update.
The distributor coil pack 'feeds' the distributor (center pole). So I cleaned the connection on the coil pack and then removed the distributor cap to clean up those contacts. When I pulled the center plug (the one from the distributor coil pack the 'stud' pulled out - well ya know that ain't good!
I found a small plug that must be the contact for the rotor, but quickly recognized that when I put the center 'plug' back in that the gap was far too large for any spark to safely jump. Quick search shows that there should be a spring in between the top plug and the small plug which contacts the rotor. I McGyvered that with half a spring from a ball point pen... I only need it to get me to town tomorrow (12 miles). Fingers deeply crossed.

Meanwhile looking at vacuum stuff, I found a short (~2.5") section of vacuum hose that comes from the throttle body and hooks to the EGR???. That was dry and crumbly, replaced that and sprayed some cleaner in the EGR.

Now IF I understand correctly, the EVR solenoid? is between the engine and distributor coil pack on the right hand side facing the engine.

The truck did fire up and idled smooth and low, I did not run it long cause I need to get into town tomorrow am. When I shut it off I could hear a funny/strange noise coming from the EVR solenoid....

Anyway to clean this up/ refurb it? I am so broke I can't pay attention, if I must I will buy a new one, but extending the life of this truck would be great. She only needs to last a couple more months and then she should be able to retire on the farm.

Thanks for any thoughts and please limit the jeers for the pen spring thing...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Forestina

Update #2:
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor and really hoped that the error would clear seeing as it is a direct link to the Distributor Coil Pack Circuit.

Right after replacing went for a ride, Check Engine ligt flashed back on for about 10 seconds then went out; same thing happened this morning going to work.

Truck idles, runs and accelerates smooth and normal like.
Research indicates that if it truly was the Distributor Coil Circuit failing then the truck would die (if it would even start).
IF - it is the EGR/ EGV thing then it should be running rough , but it ain't.

Going to cross post a link to this thread in hopes more eyes will view and someone can shed some light. I need to make a 4 hour drive this weekend and prefer to not run the risk of sitting on the side of the road.

Going to NAPA tonight after work to see what their code reader pulls up (didn't have much confidence in the O'Rielly employee - long story).

Last edited by Forestina; 07-21-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: missing information
Old 07-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Forestina

Went to NaPA and they didn't have a connector for this "vintage" truck. Went to Car Quest, they ran the KOEO and the KOER, tests. This time their unit affirmed an EGR regulator issue. I still am confused as to why O'Rielly's came back with the same 3 digit code but referenced Distributor Circuit...

Went home, removed EGR and cleaned, as well as the electrical contacts. Nothing seemed really dirty. Then went to the EVR solenoid (?) shown at 12:15 in the video below.

Removed vacuum hoses and connector blew cleaner through the unit, cleaned connectors, nothing seemed bad. Upon reassembly I saw the green vacuum hose had a small split in it, may have happened when I pulled it off, not sure. Wrapped some Gorilla Tape around it and feel relatively confident that this will make things right.

4 hour drive today should reveal if this was a success or failure...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USU9NW...ature=youtu.be