Topic Sponsor

1994 temp gauge weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 temp gauge weirdness

Hi all,
Bought my son a cheap F150 with a bad clutch. Put a clutch in it with him, and now it drives again. Going to town with him the serpentine belt shredded. He said the power steering wasn't working, so I started watching the temp gauge to confirm my suspicion of the loss of belt. The temp gauge never rose though! Stayed right at the normal temp spot! I finally leaned way over, and saw the volt gauge was really low, so I told him to pull over. Check engine light had come on too, but the temp gauge never indicated we were overheating! When we stopped I could then see the steam from under the hood. Opened it up, and there was antifreeze puking everywhere, and the old caked on oil on the head was boiling. F'ing yikes! Figured out the belt threw because the PS pump had excessive play in the shaft. 170,000 miles it was probably due for a PS pump. I could tell it was original. Had that "never been touched" pop to the bolts and stuff. What's irking me is the temp gauge. Any ideas on that? How to test the sending unit/gauge/anything I might be missing? 4.9L straight six, XLT, single cab, long bed, 4x4, Mazda 5speed.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:25 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The PS pump always has play - that won't hurt the belt at all. Check the OTHER pulleys; it's usually the smog pump that seizes, but it's easy to fix. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

If you really think the PS pump is bad, DON'T replace it with the same thing (C2); get a Saginaw:

(phone app link)

This one explains how to test the temperature gauge:

(phone app link)

This one explains how to collect the truck's details to put in your signature here:

(phone app link)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve,
Smog pump seems to turn free. Quite honestly everything seems to turn free. We just put the new belt on when we did all the other service. New motor mounts, new pan gasket, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, rear brakes (almost everything), park brake cables. Figured since I had the fan off to hoist the engine up we might as well put on a new belt. AC pump is froze up, but I disconnected the clutch wires. I did notice a bit of misalignment between the tensioner pulley and the PS pulley. Maybe the tensioner is a crumby reman? I'm hoping eating belts isn't a trend with this truck. Kinda like to keep the ol thing around for a bit.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

No, these trucks don't generally have drivebelt problems. And yes: the tensioner should align with all the other pulleys.

(phone app link)

It will probably eat engine mounts; especially if you tow or climb. Unfortunately, no upgraded mount is available for the I6.

If you plan to keep the truck, I highly recommend getting a Haynes, but read this caption first:

(phone app link)

We could help you more if the truck's details are in your sig., and your location is in your profile.

Quick Reply: 1994 temp gauge weirdness